Pocket Chainsaw

hikinboot

Has anyone ever used a pocket chainsaw? I saw them today, thought it would be great for throwing in my pack. I am not sure how effective it would be with one person, thoughts?

oldsarge

If we are talking about the wire saw that has two rings on either end, I never had any luck with them, they always snap after a few tugs either way. It's been many years since I tried. Maybe something better has come along!

OutdoorsGirl

my husband has one, it is a pocket chainsaw, it has handles on either end and looks like a chain saw chain. We used it last time we went camping, they had to clear some big debris and it worked fine. If you are going to get one, don't opt for the cheapest one there, it is usually the worst quality, my husbands was $40 or so.

ChadTower

The $3 wire saw isn't good for much but also weighs nothing so it costs nothing to have in your pack. That chainsaw is far more reliable.

Ilovelife

I just have one suggestion about the pocket chainsaw, don't try to make it work like a regular one. I had a friend who thought he could do with mine, what he could do with his full sized one, insane, and broke it, yay. :(

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
I'd rather find fallen trees\logs as apposed to tearing down living trees and using that as firewood. A hatchet works well for me :). Though I DO have one of them folding saws, the blade folds in to the handle with a butterfly nut. It works fine just gotta be easy on it.

freedommachine

I own a couple of chains saws, one with a 28inch bar and a 18inch bar. When you buy new chains somtimes the dealers make you a chain to size. I wounder if someone took an old chain took the rivets out and sized it to a length and added handles if that could work. Me and my wife have wood heat so we cut serveral cords of wood a year. So we know a decent amount about saw chains. If you were to go to a chain saw shop you might be able to pick out a very good chain for way cheaper and make you own. My last chain for my Stihl with a 28inch bar, the chain was very nice for like 37$. So that is a total of 6 feet worth of quality chain,a cutting tooth every link. I am sure someone could come up with somthing cool.

hikinboot

That's not a bad idea. Maybe I could get my local dealer to gear something up for me, what would be the best to use for handles?

freedommachine

I have been thinking about handles as well. I would like to look one up or go to the store and look at one see what the namebrand ones use. I know I have seen one with like key rings to put your pointer fingers in, sounds painful. Even a powerful chainsaw can have trouble at times,let alone your finger in a metal ring. Maybe a couple of long threaded bolts, long enough for your hand. Put 2 nuts on each bolt to secure a ring in the middle, that is attached to the chain. Then wrap the threads with sports tape or somthing to be easy on the hands. That way when sawing the chain will come out between your middle finger and ring fingers. Just a thought.