Pop Ups and Thieves

Qweetzy

I was just wondering. How safe do you feel in your pop up camper? Does the fact that it can be cut with a knife and you could be robbed ever enter your mind. My wife asked me the same a long time ago and I told her if I was worried, I wouldn't use it. I also said they had better worry about me instead of the other way around.

ChadTower

A tent is even easier to cut.

An RV is generally just cheap sheet metal and plywood. If someone wants in they're coming in. Your house is only as secure as the glass in your windows. The sense of security there is more psychological than physical.

outwest

I think that bad thing can in fact (and do) happen but sometimes there is a great deal of hype with the "what if" rather than the "how often does something like this really happen". You need a clear line of where you are camping and the safety of the area, otherwise you are always going to be asking what if.

SweetSassyLady

My husband and I have talked about this when tent camping. You are basically out in the open. But if they want to try something, come ahead. A couple of BIG belt knives, a machete, and a gun or two will be waiting. We don't travel without our equipment and you never know when you may need to shot a squirrel.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Bob

If you feel too vulnerable and you are fearful, then camping is probably not for you and you would be much more relaxed at home. Camping should not be something that makes you nervous.

SweetSassyLady

You're right Bob. If you have to hide inside a dwelling place, you aren't going to be comfortable camping anywhere. If you can handle yourself and your weapons, you will be safe, or as safe as you can be in public these days.

FreshAirLover

Well, the world is said to be an unsafe place in general, but seeing how I haven't had any bad experience with thieves so far, I haven't really given too much thought to this pop up camper safety idea. I suppose the first thing that comes to my mind is to get a GPS... :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

SweetSassyLady

Generally, we don't have a lot of stuff that is worth stealing anyway. What we have, we usually carry with us or we leave it in the truck. I have had some food stolen before but if they were hungry-more power to them and no harm, no foul. I always bring too much anyway. The boys were kinda upset though-they took their box of Moon Pies. LOL

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
Looking around there is a GPS tracking system for campers.
Has a bunch of bells and whistles too. You can set up sensors and what not, email alerts and horns and lights too. Hope that helps you out, though I've never seen one on a popup I have seen them on RV's.

Solar powered Security System

InTheWoods

I suppose someone could break in, but usually there's not a lot to steal that's left in a pop-up. I think the thief would be someone that had seen something you had that he wanted and decides to break in when your gone. Otherwise, I wouldn't think it would be worth the thieves time. :tinysmile_classes_t

Sophia

If you are worried, then you shouldn't be camping in the first place. You really don't have much by way of protection, but if you are surrounded by other campers, there is just a bit of everyone looking out for each other going on.

ChadTower

there is just a bit of everyone looking out for each other going on.

I doubt I'd look out for the belongings on other campsites. I have no idea who those people are, who may have permission to do what, who may be guests or late arriving campers, etc. I wouldn't expect anyone to look out for my stuff, either.

Lorax

We only go to remote National Forest campgrounds (usually self register) or dispersed camping where there is nobody else.

We've never, ever had a problem.

Ever hear of a "home invasion"? if somebody is out to get you, you can be anywhere and bad stuff can happen. can't say I've ever had anything bad happen in the wilderness. As a retired Federal Prosecutor and good hiking/paddling buddy of mine always says....
10,000 felons convicted and haven't ever met one in the woods."

freedommachine

Camping is sort of an honor system thing. Everyone has to leave valuables laying around camp sites. Tent campers especialy. Coolers,tents,chairs,laterns,sleeping bags etc. So everyone takes a risk. I wouldnt put to much thought into it,if you do it will just leave you paranoid when out at the beach or hiking etc. Everytime we leave our tent,our tent heaters,flashlights,food everything has to stay left alone. My jeep has no door on during the summer and it is vulnerable, it has tools,cb radio,jacks,chains,straps,all sorts of odds and ends but somtimes it has to get left that way with all my stuff inside sitting in plain view. Its just a risk we campers takes. I am not saying be blind, but you got to get out and relax.