Propane Cost

Northern Dancer

I was stunned. I needed a couple of small propane tanks for my buddy heater. The cost for a one-pound tank is $10.99 plus tax. Wha......t? Is anyone else out there experiencing a sudden increase in costs? I have a ten-pounder that I started to use a while ago to save costs and to stop throwing out empty tanks. I could hardly believe that the cost as jumped so high and decided to stay with the larger tank that costs a whole lot less to fill.

What's going on in your neck of the woods?

Roybrew

Yep those things are outrageously high. I can fill my 20 pound can for about 20 bucks. I refilled 3 of the little cans from it to take on this camping trip. the little valve on the small cans is a problem. Most have trouble sealing back.

The Black Stone grill that my brother brought, sucked down 3 of those little bottles of gas.
Roy

The Great Outdoors

ppine

Forester
In rural parts of the country we have a propane tank out back. I burn wood, but this year getting decent wood has not been easy. We have had record cold. It costs $500 to fill my tank and it is only 250 gallons. It lasts about 6 weeks in winter or less. I will not make this mistake again and will start laying in some wood this summer. I need about three cords.

I used to cut wood, but now I am 72 and a heart patient and mostly buy it.

Roybrew

I grew up cutting firewood for heat. Winters were a little colder and longer in the 70s then they are now. We had about a hundred acres of land. Every bit except about 3 acres were straight up the side of a mountain. Screenshot_20230404-175515-159.jpgPlenty of firewood but hard to get it out without a tractor or good 4 wheel vehicle. That small field in the lower right was the only level area where we could have a garden. It was about 2 acres. We would cut down a few trees and my brother and I would throw the logs down hill till we got them to the barn. It was a lot of work, but had to be done. We put on a lot of muscle splitting firewood. Of course Dad thought it was funny watching us trying to split crooked beech wood. We were in heaven when Dad finally got a 4 wheel drive pickup.
Roy

The Great Outdoors

Northern Dancer

In rural parts of the country we have a propane tank out back. I burn wood, but this year getting decent wood has not been easy. We have had record cold. It costs $500 to fill my tank and it is only 250 gallons. It lasts about 6 weeks in winter or less. I will not make this mistake again and will start laying in some wood this summer. I need about three cords.

I used to cut wood, but now I am 72 and a heart patient and mostly buy it.
-----> Your account reminds me of the time I heated with oil. I finally had gas installed and the tank kept in the basement was removed and this slim tiny furnace was installed. I didn't think it could possibly heat up the house but it did. The first month I would go downstairs just to check because it was so quiet that I had to assure myself it was working. We have certainly seen a transformation over the years. There are houses in this community that have large solar panels on the roof. I installed air-tight windows this year and this summer new doors will be installed insulation in the attic should be completed. At one time we simply didn't worry about this stuff - there was plenty of fuel and it was cheap.

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
I figured that this would happen; so I stocked up on propane about a year ago... plenty of refills for those one pounders in a larger tank... when the leaking Schraeder valves become an issue I will see if I can figure out a way to replace them or maybe go with a legitimate, small refillable can.

...If all else fails I can go back to carting around the 10 pound tank for camping.

Enjoy!

ppine

Forester
I remember a house in Pleasant Valley near Reno. It had the original oil furnace from the 1970s. When that furnace came on hot air came out of the vents. My current propane furnace blows cool air. Time to check the vents, clean them and add insulation. The days of cheap energy are never coming back.

Roybrew

Our 1st house had an oil furnace. It only had one big grate next to a closet door at the front end of the hallway. It would blow heat up by the door toward the ceiling and the intake was on the other side of the grate. It got very warm and put out the heat. It was a small 900 square foot house, and it heated it easily. My wife and girls would get out of the shower and run for the furnace. They would sit on it with a blanket over them.

I along with my wife, and most people my age in this area, grew up with out air conditioning. It was a luxury not many could afford. We would just lay around in the shade during the hottest part of the day. I remember laying in bed with the windows open, it would be hot and humid out, and then a skunk would walk by. Eww. When I would wake in the morning, things in my room would be damp from the night time dew and humidity. That's how it was then.

I love having the windows open listening to the quiet night, but it is nice to wake up with out feeling damp from the moist night air.
Roy

The Great Outdoors

ppine

Forester
I grew up back East. We had no air conditioning, but had an attic fan. It pulled cooler air into the rooms with open windows. We slept in wet t-shirts. I remember driving across the desert at night in old American cars with no AC. I am very happy to have central AC living in northern Nevada now. I can't take the cold as well as when I was younger. Just came back from a camping trip. We left a day early because of the weather.