Pushings kids too quick

staime

A buddy of mine is all about the hunting and while I do not mind it, I do mind that he continues to push all of his kids to hunt. 2 have flat out said they do not want to participate and one is okay with it, of the 2 that do not like it one is a boy the other a girl (both twins). Has anyone gone through something like this with a friend or family member, I need some guidance on how to explain that I feel he is pushing too hard.

DThewanderer

I would not push a child to hard to hunt. Hunting can be a wonderful thing to do but to force a child to do it who really does not want to could end up scaring them for life.

SmackontheWeb

Kids are made to do things they do not want to do all the time. That's life. I'm sure there are plenty of kids that don't want to go to school or do their homework but it's something they must be made to do regardless. Does this mean we should get all concerned because the child might be tramatized because he/she was forced to go to school and do homework?? As for hunting, it's the parent's call on this and no one else's weather you like it or not. The parents of these children obviously think they are teaching their children something they feel is important for the children to learn no matter if the kids (or anyone else) think otherwise. So long as the children are not in any physical danger, it's really nobody's business outside the family.

deb60

I think it's up to the kids to tell him no. It won't be any fun for them if he continues to push them into it. Some kids just don't like to shoot guns and hunt. I do think it's important that they speak up.

Path

How close are you to your buddy? It's tough when your dealing with other people's kids and how and what they are being taught. Sometimes you have to watch your boundaries. If he's open to you helping them learn how to hunt. Take the ones that are somewhat timid and teach them about hunting not as a sport but to actual eat what you kill. Proper gun and bow safety. Teach them what you were taught - good Luck.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
The wonderful thing about people is that we are all a little different.

Not everyone can be a mathematician, not everyone can be an doctor, and not everyone can be a hunter. This is why villages are formed and people have their occupations based on their aptitudes.

I say don't force anyone to hunt if they are not meant to hunt. That would be like forcing me to do trigonometry ... it will cause me to hunt :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Greenjack

I agree with Northern also. Hunting is a wonderful hobby but it's not for everyone. In the prehistoric times people had to hunt, otherwise they wouldn't survive. But now we can live without killing animals (ourselves).

staime

When you push, they rebel, seems silly to even try honestly. I would have no issues passing my hobbies down to my offspring but if they are clearly not interested I am not going to push the issue. Beating a dead horse comes to mind...

BigBear

Maybe you could suggest to your buddy to try taking the non-hunting kids to an archery range. It might give him the bonding exoerience he seems to want and they might enjoy the target practice without actually killing something.

evergreen

Best way to deal it with any problem of the sort is to flat out directly tell the person that just because not everybody has the same interests, doesn't mean that there is something wrong with them, we are not clones. Pushing somebody to do something they don't like will only prove dangerous and hazardous.