Rain Gear

hikinboot

What is the best brand of rain gear? I was outside today and got stuck in a downpour and I have decided I need to invest in a set of rain gear, suggestions?

Bob

I've had several Gortex shell garments through the years. It keeps you dry but it breathes. I can't handle that old PVC rubberized stuff. There are sprays you can buy to help retain Gortex's water repellancy.

freedommachine

I cant remember the brand, but my marine corps issue digital gortex top and bottom work really well. It is a little pricey new, but you might find it used at a surplus store if you are into that kind of stuff. Lots off pockets, zipper to open sleeves and let you breath.

IndianaHiker

I have used gortex before and it is great if you are just standing around. I remember the jackets issued in the army and they did ok. However I still haven't found anything when walking for miles with a pack that you don't just get drenched with sweat. Starting to think that it doesn't exist.

freedommachine

I agree it is almost impossible to stay dry with rain, even gortex. But depending on pack size it is almost better to just get wet,if you are hiking you should stay warm enough. Then bring the gortex and dry clothes in your pack and change once you have gotten to your destination. Plus if you are drenched in sweat wearing a rain coat even in rain or snow your body is probably overheating, not safe. Its almost better to be a little cold than not. In cold weather it is easy for ones body to overheat or dehydrate, if not both and not realize it. Thats why I would just chose to be wet, then change into dry comfy clothes and gortex jacket. Cold weather outdoor anything can be a tricky to keep at a safe tempature. But like I mentioned earlier if you are going to get rain gear,get the ones that open up in the middle of the sleeves,back,chest,legs so you can stay aired out. If you have it set to wear rain gear hiking , take it slow and pay attention to your body and hydrate a lot.

hikinboot

Thanks. I will look for a gortex set. I may have to venture out to the army surplus and see what I can find. I like the surplus store.

freedommachine

Thanks. I will look for a gortex set. I may have to venture out to the army surplus and see what I can find. I like the surplus store.
Yes you cant go wrong with gortex. There is a reason they put it in boots and all sorts of other outdoor gear. I keep my gortex in my jeep that way if I get stuck in the mud and need to shovel,I can stay dry and move freely and stay aired out to an extent. Mine is the Marine Corps issue, they newer digital kind. I swear by it. I have also used the older woodland camo type that used to be issued out,it is okay but lacks the good cargo,chest,shoulder pockets. I was in the Marines and in the infantry so I have a ton of first hand use with it. The newer stuff is great,I say newer but it has been out for several years now. I got my set in 2004 and it is still going strong. Even the cleaning directions say it can be machined washed,also a plus. But I still feel hand cleaning is better for the water replelant.

oldsarge

I have used gortex before and it is great if you are just standing around. I remember the jackets issued in the army and they did ok. However I still haven't found anything when walking for miles with a pack that you don't just get drenched with sweat. Starting to think that it doesn't exist.
When I used the issue Gortex I liked the way it would breath. Even if I was walking with a pack and sweating, the material let the wetness wick out and I did dry off quickly. Yes you do sweat and you will get wet but Gortex allows persperation to vent. I was much more pleased with Gortex than those nasty smelling rubber jackets they used to issue. It was like wearing a dirty rubber glove. My last resort would be the issue poncho.

JollyRogers

I prefer Frogg Toggs. Very light and breathes better than Goretex or just about anything else, in my opinion. Also packs smaller.

They are more durable than you would think. Looks/feels like a cross between Tyvek and tissue paper. I keep a set in the saddlebags of the motorcycle at all times. Even at highway speeds it holds up really well. The only times I got wet were when it was raining/hailing so hard that I had a puddle form on the seat between my legs that it eventually soaked through the seams. (Of course this was over a period of a couple of hours sitting in said puddle between gas stops).

It's also plenty big to fit over my other gear. (Jeans, boots, leather jacket, vest, etc.) They are quick and easy to put on and take off and have elastic draw cords to tighten around the waist. Mine also have a hood that rolls up into the collar when not in use.

Never done much wet weather hiking since I got out of the military. And the few times I did, I enjoyed cooling off in the rain and never bothered with more than a poncho until I settled down in camp. they also work well for cutting wind and as an extra layer when it's cold. Goretex is better for warmth in cold, (near freezing or below), climates but 40-50 degrees+ I'll take Frogg Toggs.

Last edited:

freedommachine

Gortex is meant to be layered. So i guess that would be somthing to consider. My gortex top and bottom is very thin, but I like many layers.

hikinboot

I have never heard of Frogg Toggs or event so perhaps I have some research to do figuring out which type is the best fit for me.

ChadTower

If the temps allow I'll just use a regular wicking T shirt and get wet. It dries well enough, breathes reasonably, and I don't really care about staying dry unless needed. My experience with ALL of them is the same as IndianaHiker's. They keep water out, mostly, but then I'm heated up and damp with sweat. I'd rather be soaked with rain than overheated and clammy.

IndianaHiker

If the temps allow I'll just use a regular wicking T shirt and get wet. It dries well enough, breathes reasonably, and I don't really care about staying dry unless needed. My experience with ALL of them is the same as IndianaHiker's. They keep water out, mostly, but then I'm heated up and damp with sweat. I'd rather be soaked with rain than overheated and clammy.
Yes nothing bets being soaked to the bone and dehydrated. If you look at the photos from my last Red River Gorge trip I went with just soaked.

oldsarge

The Poncho liner was one of the most worth while pieces of equipment I was issued. Kept me warm all by itself or helped out on those cold desert nights when used inside my sleeping bag. In the jungle, after spending the whole day soaked to the bone, I would wrap up in this at night to wake up relatively dry by morning. It could be a little heavy when wet, but if you had a nice breeze and a few minutes, it would dry out pretty quick. I'm due to replace my old ones, getting pretty worm out. My dogs love laying around on them.