Rare orchids

Greenjack

My friend is really fond of orchids and she always dreams of finding rare orchids on the trekking trails she hikes. Do you think it is OK to bring home such orchids?

oldmangunner

I would not transplant a rare flower. What I would do is go back to the spot and do anything I can to make sure they are growing well there. If in a few years they are doing well them maybe. Still if it is an endangered plant then it might even be illegal.

lbean

I think it is best to leave them alone. Like oldmangunner said, it could be illegal. They are wonderful and so nice to look at but I would just take a picture and not pick them.

oldmangunner

I do that too. I have a whole collection of pictures or rare flowers I saw. I was trying to find out if it would be a state law or a federal law that would make it illegal. What kind of orchid is it. That might help us find out.

Drupalist

Yeah, I agree with you about taking a picture of the flower and do nothing else with it. On trekking trails, I will take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill nothing but time. 8-:

TribalP

I agree with the other to just leave the rare flowers alone. Plants best grow in the most suitable place for them. Just because a flower grows well in a trekking site doesn't mean it will grow well in your garden also.

Last edited:

Greenjack

Thanks guys, I think you are right about leaving the rare plants alone. I will tell her about it. I know she will be disappointed but it's better than she doing something illegal.

Alliegator

I've seen some beauties on my hikes but I will only take those that I know aren't protected. There are so many protected species now that I'm almost afraid to take any of them any more.

HikingGuy

There are wild orchids where I live called Lady Slippers, and they are a protected specie and if you pick them it will cost you a very heavy fine.

faye

I'd rather take some pictures of rare flowers than pick them up and take them home. I don't want to face a huge fine if I get caught. It's still best to keep natural orchids at the garden than rare ones.