Recommend a book for day hiking?

Bojib

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book for Day Hiking?

Most books I've found cover backpacking, and not a lot on day hiking.

I know there isn't much to it, and there is a lot of information on the internet, but I just like having a good book to look through. Perhaps loan out to a friend of family member to try to convince them to take up hiking.

I avoid the backpacking stuff a little, not because I don't want to go, but as long as I'm tied down to using a CPAP machine at night, it's pretty much ruled out. So, maybe forever.

I still enjoy a good read, and if it has to have backpacking information in it, that's ok too.

Judy Ann

I have many hiking books by either state or mountains. The Falcon series is good, but I really enjoy ones written by people that have made exploring areas their life hobby. Many were recommended by others that hike all of the trails in one area and then explore a different mountain range.

You might try going to a large bookstore in your area. Some I purchased at REI while "window shopping" and others were ordered from researching areas that I want to backpack along with the maps.

Grandpa

Check the Falcon Guide series. They have everything outdoors, from hiking, backpacking, climbing and road trips. They may have a day hikes book specific to your area. They also have instructional books. While each of these books may be written by a different author, and therefore some better written than others, I have found, book for book, (in my opinion) these are the best all around guides.

Bojib

Thanks for reminding of the Falcon Guides. I do have some other books by them, and I actually like them all.

What I'm looking for is something like an instructional book. Something to kind of brush up on, but more so to let others read.

I don't have a nearby large or small bookstore to go look for these types of books. The nearest is almost a two hour drive away. That's why I look for recommendations online in forums like this one. I have to order just about all my books. Of course, when I'm in the area of a nice bookstore I always stop in to see what's new in the outdoors/recreation section.

I will check some Falcon Guides books though. I also spotted an Idiot's Guide to Hiking and Backpacking, while I'm not fond of the way the books are titles, I have found a few of them to be well written.

ppine

Forester
Pack a lunch, some water, a compass, map and a knife and start walking. Don't over complicate day hiking. Look at some maps, ask around and get out there.

What's next a guide on how to get out of bed in the morning?

Last edited:

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Look for something on family hiking. I've got a couple... "Waterfalls in the southeast" covers GA, SC, and NC. "Fifty Family Hikes in Upstate South Carolina" covers a lot of interesting places too. Family hike books are almost always just day hikes.

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
I like a good book too and have 78 volumes in my personal library, all on locations in the southwest, none in Kentucky. Many of these books have a chapter or at least a few paragraphs for the beginner or one who needs some refreshing. The only dedicated books I have on actual hiking and camping have copyrights older than 100 years. If you want something newer and a little more modern with good information, I’d suggest one of the books by Bradord Angier. How to Stay Alive in the Woods is one you might consider in your own library. It is not a brand new this year kind of book and you won’t use everything in it but it has a good basis for what you are asking about in my opinion. I don’t have it but at one time I did. Some things may seem a bit dated. Browse other titles when you get near a good bookshop and don't rule out the better used bookshops. There are some real gems hiding in some of them.

Those Idiots and Dummies books have too many bad jokes and some very lame, goofy illustrations. I have not looked at them for years and even then it was not for outdoors.

Besides basics I’d suggest learning how to quickly set up a small tarp in several configurations. Quick shelter will not only allow you to survive some bad un-forecast weather but will let you make tea, cook lunch or just enjoy a cold lunch in a sudden shower. I consider it as important as a good compass and map and knowing how to skillfully use them. You do practice that in your backyard and maybe making fire, a few various essentials.

Last edited:

Yab9

When I go hiking I only read before going to sleep and usually any adventure book will do. Adventure novels go along perfect with the atmosphere and sometimes after I go to sleep I dream about what I just read :)

Bojib

Pack a lunch, some water, a compass, map and a knife and start walking. Don't over complicate day hiking. Look at some maps, ask around and get out there.

What's next a guide on how to get out of bed in the morning?
I do struggle with getting out of bed sometimes too, I may would buy that book as well. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

I do get out and hike though, but I don't know many others that do. I've always enjoyed it, but lately I've taken more to it and am starting to venture out further and further. I'm actually pretty good at wilderness navigation and things of that nature, before I got into hiking I was more in to ATVing and Off-Roading, and spent almost 20 years at it before I decided I wasn't that in to it.

I got into Hiking because it is still a great way to get out enjoy nature. It's quieter, it's less dusty, and there are a lot more opportunities for it.

As I get more into it, and want to travel farther during the day, I'd like to find ways to make it more enjoyable. I don't know any one else really that is into hiking. Just me and my wife. There aren't any local hiking clubs to get into. Then, most of the smaller groups I do see are young fit college kids, and I'm a fat middle aged man, they don't wouldn't take me too serious, and there would be a big disconnect there anyway.

So that leaves me with finding books to read on the subject. I have questions about fitting a day pack. The Wal-Mart one I have now is definitely too small, it has a waist belt, but when it's comfortable on my shoulders the waist belt is no where near my waist. I wonder about getting some wool socks, or something other than cotton. The wool socks I find around here are super thick, I have some, they are great in the winter but they aren't that comfortable. Then there are these shirts that are suppose to wick sweat away. All I have is a closet full of cotton T-shirts. I don't know anything about any other type. I don't even know what to look for.

I would like to get a little better equipment during the winter, and I need help figuring out what I should be getting. I would like to go to the stores and have some idea of what I'm talking about so I don't get sold something I don't need buy some click commissioned sales person.

The internet is a wealth of information, but sometimes I get information overload when researching a topic on the internet, and sometimes it's too basic. I hate to ask too many questions and be a total newb in the forums all the time, and again, sometimes the information is too much or too vague, rarely is it just right.

That's why I'm thinking a good book or two would be a wealth of information. I know it's still just an author's opinion, but usually it's still more helpful than spending hours on the internet. And without anyone I know personally to guide me, it seems to be the best option.

Bojib

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Just thought I'd add some recommendations of books that I have found.

What I found was that there wasn't a lot of books related to just day hiking. Most books cover several topics, sometimes day hiking is included.

Anyway, in case any one else is interested in some books on the subject of hiking, here is a short list of some books I have found:

The Complete Walker IV
Colin Fletcher & Chip Rawlings

Hiking & Backpacking
Karen Berger

Backpacker's Start-Up: A Beginner's Guide to Hiking and Backpacking
Doug Werner

The Joy of Hiking
John McKinney

The Backpacker's Handbook
Chris Townsend

Outdoor Enthusiast: Never Say I Wish I Had
Stephen Priest

The Backpacker's Field Manual, Revised and Updated: A Comprehensive Guide to Mastering Backcountry Skills
Rick Curtis

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Backpacking and Hiking
Jason Stevenson

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Hiking, Camping, and The Great Outdoors
Michael Mouland

I have read all of these, and would write a brief description but most of them can easily be found on Amazon or some other book service. Their descriptions and reviews are much better than what I can do.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
Glad you resurrected this thread. For those interested in Arkansas hiking, any book by Tim Ernst is highly recommended. Also, his photography is outstanding. I'd put ghostdog in his league.