Renting vs. Owning

When you're out on the water, do you rent your boat/canoe/kayak for the day, or do you bring one with you that you own? We don't own any "water vehicles", so whenever we're out on the lake we have to rent.

Woods

I would rarely bring boat or a kayak with me. So, renting is my choice. But if my friend is going, who is a white waters nut, we're packing, and seriously too! :)

limbs

We own our boats. We always use our own boats for the most part. I think I can remember renting a boat maybe 3 or 4 times in the past ten years. I love owning my own boat because of the special bond you grow with it.

sailorman

I own 2 sailboats, my dad owns a canoe and my brother has a motor boat. Between us all we pretty much have what we need. We borrow each others boats on a regular basis.

ppine

Forester
I have owned multiple boats for a long time, but sometimes on a long trip it is handy to rent a boat for a few hours.

hiking_and_biking

We rent. It's easier and less expensive for us that way, because there are so many water sports we enjoy that we'd bankrupt ourselves if we tried to buy and own everything we needed! Plus, it's nice not to have to pack it up at the house, unpack it at the lake, use it, repack it when you're done, and unpack it again when you get back home. We rent it, we use, we return it, we're done. :)

state_camper

We rent, too, but we're always on the lookout for good deals and if we ever come across a deal we can afford, we'll buy instead. We'd much rather own than rent, because I firmly believe that renting is more expensive in the long run, but brand new boats and such are just out of our price range right now.

DMan

We own our own canoe and bring it with us when we camp. We have rented in the past when we went on a vacation and stayed in a motel.

carmen

We have spent more time renting than anything else and then finally caved to get a small boat. It is kind of like when you grow up to get your first house, realizing how much money you have wasted over the years renting.

JeepThrills

I have done both. If you are talking large boats, it is usually more cost efficient to rent than own. We had to pay a monthly fee to rent a slip for our boat and sometimes months would go by without us ever taking her out, yet we still had that monthly cost.

If you are talking smaller boats, however, you can usually just park one in your yard and as long as you keep it out of the elements, it is well worth the expense to own it.