Roadkill?? Really?

Shanna

Some guys that live across the road from me hit a deer the other day with their truck. They picked that deer up and brought it home and dressed it out. They didn't even get to bleed it since it was already dead too long before they got to bring it home. Besides that deer that have been hit are tough and stringy since the adrenaline that was running through their body at the time of getting hit by the truck toughens the meat in my experience. Not to mention the bone shards throughout the meat. Has anyone else ever done this??

Bumpkin

I hit a deer one time and the guy that was driving behind me stopped and asked if he could have it. He lived close by so I waited for him to go home and get his truck. Then, yup, he came back and picked it up. I guess it's good that there are some people who are willing to use all the meat they can get their hands on, but it does seem icky to me.

stickem

I've never done it but I know a bunch of guys that have. It's meat just like any other. I have nothing against it. At least the deer is not going to waste.

looey

I do not know anyone that has done this for the reasons you have already mentioned. Do you know any reason why the neighbor ended up waiting so long, maybe if they are hunters (or new ones at that) they might have thought different.

Shanna

They waited because the state police had to come out to make a report on their truck (which was drivable). They said the insurance company they have made them wait to get the report for verification that it was a wild animal hit and not a vehicle hit. I've never heard of it before but I guess anything is possible.