Rock city

deb60

Have you ever been to a place that you can hike through that has big statues of rocks and rock formations? We go to this place called Rock City a couple times a month. It's a great place to hike and it's neat too. The kids can climb on the rocks.

campgirl

That sounds like a really neat place. I'm going to look it up online and see if there is anything like it near me. It would be a fun outing for the "wind-down-of-summer".

trader

They have something like that down in Papago Park in Phoenix Az. When we lived there, we would go in the winter so the rocks wouldn't be so hot to touch!

Luvoutdoors

I have actually never been to Rock City but it is less than 2 hours from here. After it cools off a bit maybe we will check it out for a fun day adventure.

scarynickname

I've always seen the signs "See Rock City" all over North Alabama, But I've never been. I have been to the Garden of the gods park outside of Colorado Springs. It was pretty cool.

lbean

When I was in New Mexico we hiked up to one of the rock dwellings that the native Americans used to live in. It was so amazing and I have always told myself that I would get back there again.

incavenow

I live about 30 minutes from Rock City, if you mean the one near Chattanooga, TN. Lived here most of my life and drove by it countless times when I'm up on Lookout Mountain. Just never took the time to visit it. I always kinda go looking for off the road places along the bluffs that have rocky areas for my rock hopping. There are some really nice ones around here and a least one with some beautiful formations also. You might check out Rock Town on the Crockford-Pidgeon Mountain Wildlife Management Area here near Lafayette, GA. Simply great for all kinds of playing around on huge rock formations.

ppine

Forester
The intermountain west is full of rock formations, and we don't have that pesky vegetation in the way so they are easy to see. For rocks you can't beat the Grand Canyon, or any of the places in no AZ or southern UT that have the same sedimentary formations. For intrusive metamorphic rocks the Sierra Nevada Range is great. For volcanics the North Cascades. The no. Rockies have complex geology but one place everyone likes is Glacier NP.