Ropes, What kind and Where?

JameyStanley

Me and my best friend have been looking into some climbing gear. I have been shopping around for rope and have no idea where to get it. I am looking for about 100ft of 10mm dynamic rope. For traditional climbing and top rope climbing, as well as belaying. I found knotandrope.com which has rope for pretty cheap but as far as I can tell they only have static rope. Any one one have any recommendations?

wvbreamfisherman

I've not done any rock climbing, but in the fire service (at least in my department), we use 5/8" kernmantle rope, which is hideously expensive. If it were me, I'd get some expert advice from an experienced climber before I spent money.

oldsarge

In the Army we used the 7/16" green line for rappelling, climbing, rope bridges and other assorted things. It has a tensil strenght of 4500lbs with a 15% stretch. I showed this to some guys climbing one time and they said they would never use anything like that. I have used Kermantle rope, it is great stuff and yes it is exspensive as hell. I still use the green line, I get it at "Cheaper than Dirt" or The Sportsman Guide" in 120' coils. It was around $50 or $60 buck a coil. They also make a Gold line rope which is better, But I haven't used any on that since the military days.

charley

If you are going to climb get climbing rope. google climbing rope for starters. check acmeclimbing.com and spadout.com these sites should also lead to other places that sell rope. If you want way too much info check rockclimbing.com

OwenM

Any one one have any recommendations?
For toprope you need over double the rope length for the height of the climb, so 100ft is not very long. Everyone I know uses 60m/200ft dynamic ropes, though there are 70m readily available.
My advice: Research to determine the proper type of rope. Then, pick a rope with the features you want. Google 'til you find it on sale at a reputable shop, and start clicking. I got my Bluewater Accelerator DoubleDry 60m 10.5mm, commonly priced at $220-270 for ~$170 from an online sale.

The rope is the simplest part, though. You'll need harnesses, chalk bags, carabiners, cord, webbing(and anchor straps or loops if you prefer), different length runners, belay devices, and for trad, active and passive protection(cams, nut stoppers), quickdraws, etc. Not to mention instruction. It's not something you just walk into.

Refrigerator

Me and my best friend have been looking into some climbing gear. I have been shopping around for rope and have no idea where to get it. I am looking for about 100ft of 10mm dynamic rope. For traditional climbing and top rope climbing, as well as belaying. I found knotandrope.com which has rope for pretty cheap but as far as I can tell they only have static rope. Any one one have any recommendations?
MountainGear.com; Outdoor gear and clothing for climbing, hiking, skiing, camping & backpacking.