Sacramento River Canoe Trip

ppine

Forester
Just returned from a 5 day canoe trip on the largest river in California. We had 4 canoes, 6 people and 2 dogs. Beautiful fall weather, hundreds of geese in the sky, Sandhill cranes, Great Blue Herons once per hour, commorants, and mergansers. The fall run of chinook salmon is in full swing. We did some fishing but it was tough in the current trying to control the boats and big fish at the same time. We hooked three salmon in the 10-15 pound class but got none of them in the boat. With strong lines, the snags were even exciting. Bent rods, stripping line and paddline upstream trying to save line.

The camping was stellar with no portages and great sandbars with lots of room for 6 tents. The food is always good on canoe trips and we had a portable table and chairs for everyone. We got low on beer and ice and found a town close enough to walk to.

We paddled thru walnut and almond orchards, but there was always cottonwood and willows near the water. Less intrusion by people than one would expect. It should be an annual fall trip. Great fun.

ppine

Forester
Hikenhunter,
These trips spoil backpackers. We have furniture and real food, cold beer and endless supplies of water. It is always beautiful with no neighbors. We saw no other canoes in 5 days. Just some salmon fishermen in powerboats that were respectful.

Cappy

It sounds like my kinda heaven, course I am kinda partial to deep wooded swamp trips. Too bad ya weren't willing to sacrifice one beer worth of storage space to pack a camera though :p

Campfire Girl

I love canoeing. I love getting in the canoe and setting in and following a river as far as I can. Sometimes I fish, sometimes I read. I enjoy canoeing with a special friend and I also canoe with my favorite canine. There is just nothing more relaxing than a quiet trip downstream.

CaverGroupie

I absolutely love the whole Northern California area. We lived in the city of Sacramento, and enjoyed trips up and down the state, from Eureka to Yosemite. That's been almost 20 years ago, though, so I'm glad to hear there's still beautiful stuff there.

ppine

Forester
Pathfinder,
I will be there next fall, but I don't want to disclose the actual locations. People are way too willing to broadcast the locations of good spots. I don't need any more people out there. I love the gems that are near home and overlooked. Nevada is full of places with aspen and spruce trees, hot springs and large herds of critters if you know where to look.

CaverGroupie

I understand your position, ppine. I hate that it's like that, but cavers have to be the same way. They're very cagey about giving out cave locations for two reasons. 1. Some caves (actually a LOT of caves) are dangerous, and you don't want the inexperienced just bebopping into a place because they heard about it on the internet. and 2. I hate to say it, but it's because of vandalism. The more people that know about a thing, the more likely someone who doesn't have the proper respect for the formations and other pretties will go in there and break things they shouldn't. Or even worse, leave behind beer cans and spray painted walls.

Pathfinder1

Pathfinder,
I will be there next fall, but I don't want to disclose the actual locations. People are way too willing to broadcast the locations of good spots. I don't need any more people out there. I love the gems that are near home and overlooked. Nevada is full of places with aspen and spruce trees, hot springs and large herds of critters if you know where to look.

Hi...

You probably know that I was jesting. :tinysmile_grin_t:

I would never intrude on another's private outdoor adventures without an invitation. Glad you enjoyed your sojurn, and hope you have many more. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

ppine

Forester
I agree that we need to bring back the anit-littering campaigns with Iron Eyes Cody and teach people respect for the outdoors. Trash and grafitti are way too common. Respecting the oudoors is learned behavior.