Scuba diving while on cruise?

KatieMarie

We don't really do much scuba diving but we're going on a cruise to the Bahama's in a few weeks and thought we might give it a try. Some of the others going with us want to do it too. Do you know if they will let you if you haven't had lessons? Would it be best to try and get some in before we leave?

oldsarge

I've never been on a cruise, but I've had others who did tell me that diving was made availalbe to them during the cruise. They also told me that you didn't need any prior experience and training was provided. Check with the cruise company, they should be able to help you out.

ejdixon

I know that there are some resorts and diving rentals that offer some introductory level lessons for those that want to go scuba diving for the first time. Would be best to first check out with the cruise company if they can recommend some to you.

BGreen

I would love to use cruise time to see if scuba diving lessons are something I'd like to pursue. I have a long-time dream of doing shipwreck diving. Lessons would be in order before I tried anything that wide in scope.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

No reputable outfit would let anyone scuba dive without at least some minimal experience. Don't do it...!!

If you want to dive, have inadequate or no experience, and lessons are not provided aboard the cruise vessel, get your lessons elsewhere first.

oldsarge

Wreck diving is a whole different animal here. Basic open water diving can be done with limited training and under supervision of a guide or instructor. Without advanced training in wreck or cave diving, you are gambling with your life.

campclose

I'm not sure if you need to have a lesson before hand either. I would make sure that there are people there that know what they are doing. You don't want to go down and then not come back up! Wreck diving sounds pretty cool!

Pathfinder1

campclose;I'm not sure if you need to have a lesson before hand either. I would make sure that there are people there that know what they are doing. You don't want to go down and then not come back up! Wreck diving sounds pretty cool![/QUOTE said:
Hi...

Diving "With people who know what they're doing" really wouldn't be a good substitute for diving lessons.

The "simple" procedure of clearing your face mask when it becomes full of water...for example...could panic the best of novices when deep underwater.

TroyS

Now that is something I definitely would like to try. I know that beach resorts provide one-day diving lessons just enough for you to be allowed to do some "shallow" diving around the waters. I'm not really sure if cruise ships offer the same thing. But personally, I'd recommend that you go out and enroll to get a license for it. At least, when you get there and they don't offer those diving lessons, you'll still be able to go out and do some scuba diving.

DMan

I think if it was me, I'd take a few lessons or even get qualified before doing any scuba diving on a cruise. You'll enjoy it more if you know what you're doing and will be better able to focus on what you're seeing rather than on what you should be doing.