Shoes and socks

KeikoOka

How much do you spend on shoes and socks? Seems like I have spent more on shoes and socks this past year than in my whole life! But of course good hiking shoes and socks are worth it to me.

IndianaHiker

Didn;t spend much on boots as I got lucky. Kayland Vertigo on clearance for 80 bucks. Normally almost 200. Socks from 12 to 20 a a pair.

safn1949

Boots...Mendl's at $200 a pair,full leather and very high quality and never a problem with blisters.Wear like iron.

Socks....Thorlo hikers,about $20 pair.Best socks I personally have ever owned.

EyeOfThePark

I generally spend between $130 and $150 for a pair of hiking shoes. A pair of socks costs $8 at my local supermarket.
I've also purchased some foot care insoles for warmth retention and extra-comfort. Check these out:
Calden Insoles

DThewanderer

I spend about $150 on boots, I do tend to go through a lot of socks. To me it is worth it to buy good boots and socks to keep my feet nice and healthy. Foot pain is never good.

GPER

i picked up a pair of Columbia shoe hickers this winter for 40 bucks. I thought they would be easier to put on in the tent than boots and should work well in non deep terrain.

Newanderthal

I wear merrells $150 a pair, and wigwam socks $12, The Merrells are really nice work great and are super comfortable but they don't last very long
Been using my Merrells for almost 7 years and they're still going strong. How long did yours last?

Jobiwan

I wear merrells $150 a pair, and wigwam socks $12, The Merrells are really nice work great and are super comfortable but they don't last very long
Merrell stands by their product and should last quite awhile. If you shoot them an email at merrellblog@wwwinc.com I'm sure they will resolve any issues you have with your boots/shoes wearing out so quickly. Like Newanderthal says they should last you a few(or 7+) years. All I use is Merrell but it's because of my foot shape and It's the only brand that seems to be comfortable to me.

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
I buy new military surplus boots, they aren't very comfy but if you get a size 'too large' you can put the memory gel Dr. scholes in them.

I use regular socks for warm weather (cotton), thicker socks for winter (30cotton 70whool or whatever)

oldsarge

I go the economy route, I've had boots from Walmart that held up well on 12 mile hikes and did well in supporting my feet. Miss my old issue jungle boots, once broken in I never had an issue. I have had exspensive boot before and they sure were nice, but with todays economy I'm leaning more to saving a little here and there. Regular cotton socks for me also in the summer, then some heavy duty sweat socks for the winter.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I spend money on my boots. I like Vasque and a few other brands that have a tendency toward costing hundreds of dollars. Socks, I don't spend much money on per pair. But I buy a lot of them. My daddy taught me to change my socks so I will go through a number of pairs in a day if I am sweating. A fresh pair of socks can change your whole attitude.