Shortening aluminum tent poles

craniac

I have this four-season tent that I bought used. It is so stiff that you can sit on it once it is set up. The thing is, the tent is so tight that it's hard for one person to get the poles in place.

I'm thinking about taking a tubing cutter and shortening the poles slightly, reducing the tension a little so that the tent can actually be set up by one person. Is this a terrible idea? Or do I just need to learn some trick for getting this tent put together?

Thanks for any input.

Oh, and the tent is a Jansport Bomber.

Refrigerator

My Opinion...I would not do that. Tents will expand and contract with temps. When raining your tent will relax and when in full sun, will tighten up. I have many 4 season tents and yes they all have the same problem you are concerned with but I continue to use what the factory spec out and noticed when my tents relax I usually have to tighten up even after the initial set up was a a tight tent. A good 4 season tent is supposed to be tight...this sheds off snow and wind....you do not want a relaxed tent for 4 season use.

If you have any grommet pole sleeve tighteners be sure to open them up fully to relax your tent.

craniac

If there's room, then, I may add an additional grommet to the straps where the poles are inserted.

sticks

Señor Member
I had to shorten the poles on my Moss tents because I was having the same problem. A call to their repair person and I did it.

Place the pole, protected by a very thick rag or piece of closed cell foam pad to prevent damaging it, in a vise close to the endtip. Grasp the endtip with a pair of pliers and gently wiggle and pull until you remove it.

I used a 24 tooth hacksaw and ended up removing about a quarter inch. Pendra recommend removing an eighth inch and repeating the process until I could set up my tent without a major struggle. You do not want to remove too much or you will have the problem Fridge mentioned!!

Use the pliers to push the endtip back it. Push straight in, do not wiggle it in.

Test set up but remember you want it to take some effort but it shouldn't take two people!

I do not accept responsibility if you damage your poles or remove too much length! I am just giving you the instructions given to me by a very reputable tent repair company in Maine that repaired tents for Moss Tents whose patterns are now used by MSR. This company is still used by MSR for warranty repairs to Moss Tents because MSR backs the lifetime warranty of Moss.

Good luck if you decide to attempt this

Last edited:

Walking Man

I don't think I'd do it if I were you. Try wetting the outside of the tent when you set it up. It'll be easier to set up and will contract as it dries leaving it tight. If you decide to do that, good luck and I hope it turns out alright for you.

Judy Ann

I had a '79 prototype convertible and the top did the same thing. Don't mess with a good tent. Listen to Fridge. He knows what he is talking about!!! It is amazing how humidity and temperature affect fabrics of all types.

ponderosa

I'd leave it alone. It's that way by design, to improve structural integrity in rough weather. A 4-season (even 3-season) tent should be very taut, to shed wind, rain, and snow. Another purpose of the tight pitch is to lift the floor seams off the ground a bit, to help keep moisture out. If you go to a gear shop and look around, you'll find that all the high end tents have a very taut pitch.

sticks

Señor Member
The option is there...Fridge you have seen my solo tent set up. That is the tent I did it to.

It comes down to how confident you feel doing it...it took me a month and the frustration setting it up on a trip to build that confidence up.

I am not telling him to do it but if craniac has the aptitude to perform this I presented the option which is doable. My tent is the proof.

My tent in Pecos Wilderness, tan one in foreground.

Last edited:

DylanT

Contact the manufacturer to see if they have any advice. Otherwise, like Refrigerator said…

Newanderthal

The fabric will stretch eventually. To speed this up, set up your tent in a shady spot and let it sit for a couple days. If you trim the poles, your tent will not fit properly once it stretches. Your poles will be too short. You could always try to exchange it, but if you start chopping poles, that option is out.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Hmmm...controversy. Sticks, it appears you are an enigma, the anomoly that disproves the rule. I love when that happens even though I respect the fridge's opinion.

Personally, I've never had this problem. But, if I encountered it, I'd have to figure "What have I got to lose.".

Judy Ann

I have this four-season tent that I bought used. It is so stiff that you can sit on it once it is set up. The thing is, the tent is so tight that it's hard for one person to get the poles in place.

I'm thinking about taking a tubing cutter and shortening the poles slightly, reducing the tension a little so that the tent can actually be set up by one person. Is this a terrible idea? Or do I just need to learn some trick for getting this tent put together?
So, did you do it? How's it working for you?