Signs of Danger

CFlyer

What are the signs that we could distinguish if danger is coming? For example, flash floods while hiking along the banks of a river or rock slide while hiking on a mountain?

IndianaHiker

Not sure that for the things that you mentioned that they are any good warning signs. A flash flood is something that can happen fast and in some areas can happen when it isn't raining where you are. Good examples of this are slot canyons. Be things to for this is watch the weather reports and if in a dangerous area if any where near is having possible storms go elsewhere. Rock slide there is no way to predict. At best if climbing or hiking on a trail in the mountains with loose rock don't walk directly under some one at higher elevation.

From these questions I take it you are new to backpacking or outdoor adventures. I see lots questions from newbies to backpacking/hiking. Here is some advice and how I learned. First thing is yes it is great to be prepared. However you can never predict everything situation you encounter so stop worrying so much. If you are unable to do that then don't go. Here is something to think about. Yes there are risk in any adventure that takes you off the beaten path. Here is what you have to decide. "Am I willing to take these risk?" If not stay home. That being said remember that there are risk with everything you do in life. One of the most dangerous things you can do is get in your car. More people get killed in cars then mauled by bears, killed by rock slide, or, even jumping out of an airplane.

So what I would tell people is not to over analyze things and get out and enjoy. Yes use common sense but don't think this is rocket science as it isn't. In a nut shell here is what backpacking is. You gather up all the crap you need. Add another 4 pounds of crap you think you might need, then add another pound or 2 of crap that we will never need but take anyway. Stuff it all into a pack and strap it to your back. Pick a trail and start walking. Walk until you want to stop, camp for the night and repeat process in the morning. Multiple day trips just carry more crap and repeat process multiple times. Other than that use common sense in what clothing in regards to the weather, and the same for sleeping bag selection.

In short relax if you want to experience this then do it. If nothing else hike a mile in or less from your car. Then set up cam and see if you like it and of your gear is working. That way if not you can leave easily.

CozInCowtown

If you see a large wall of water heading directly at you that is a sign you are about to be involved in a flash flood.....or tidal wave!
I hope this helps.
DC

SweetSassyLady

Watch out for wild fires too. The can box you in if you're not careful. Always keep an eye out and use your sense of smell too. Both can give you a lot of information you can use. Just don't be stupid.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Banjos.

Seriously though I think wildfire scares me the most. If it's a flash flood get higher. If it's rocks falling you won't know until you see them moving, so run like Hell.

But fire can get you slowly, chase you into a corner, and last for days or weeks. The other two are typically quick, short lived events.

IndianaHiker

You all going to scare the OP back to the couch geesh. CFlyer really you'r not going die in a fire, flood, or rock slide. Get out there and enjoy. Remember the most dangerous part of must outing is the drive to the trail head.

outwest

Paying attention to your surroundings are always a good note that people sometimes take for granted. I try to have a wandering eye just to make sure that I know what is around me.

TRegasaurus

Scan the horizon as best you can if you're in a canyon, or before you decend take a look.
A thunderstorm many miles away can send a flood downstream in very little time.
Keep a lookout for escape routes while you're in the canyon.
Listen for thunder, play it safe and leave the canyon if you hear any.

wvbreamfisherman

Keep your eyes and ears open. That one rule will get you thru most situations. Be aware of what's going on around you.

Like Indiana Hiker says, you're highly unlikely to be involved in a flash flood or a rockslide.

Get out, preferably at first with someone with some experience. Pay attention to how they do things. Pay attention to your surroundings. With experience you'll learn ways to do things that suit you.

The best way to enjoy the outdoors is to ummm ...enjoy the outdoors!

Newanderthal

Open your ears. Listen. If a flood is coming down the river, your only warning will be the sound that comes a few seconds before it.

THAT'S WHY YOU DON'T LISTEN TO AN IPOD WHILE HIKING!