Sleeping Bags

CFlyer

There are some people who use only sleeping bags when they go out camping. I can't stand sleeping on sleeping bags because wild animals might attacked me while sleeping. Insects also can disturb me if I'm not inside a tent. Have you tried camping with just sleeping bags?

Stoker

I like camping when the weather is cool, so yes, definitely. I'm not afraid of the critters and animals,as I typically keep a fire or some other kind of light source going through he night.

limaker

I will use one any chance I get and it does come in handy when you crash at a friends place without extra room after a party night. I have seen some really nice ones that I still need to save up more on.

HikingGuy

I was outside tonight and looked down my road and a huge black bear crossed my road with in just feet from my driveway, so no, I would not just sleep outside on the ground on a sleeping bag.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Unless you live in Africa or parts of Asia, there is very little chance that you will be attacked by wild animals in your sleep. True, North America does have the occasional rogue bear but a tent won't stop a bear.

There has never been a recorded case of wolves attacking man except in a Disney movie or a Grimm's Fairy Tale. Those are both bunk. So what is it you're afraid of, a Opossum attack?

Oh, by the way, there are many fine insect repellants on the market. I have always been a fan of Cutters.

Last edited:

Michael

Well, coyotes do attack people now and again, on occasion even killing adults. Most attacks by far are on livestock. You're many orders of magnitude more likely to be attacked by a domesticated dog than a coyote, but if your area has lots of them it's better to be safe.

Mostly being safe means not feeding them, watching for their approach, and scaring them off should they come too close. Most negative human-coyote interactions come from letting coyotes get used to being close to people.

woodsman

It's not that dangerous around here so I don't mind staring at the stars, also do not think that if some wild animal really does want to hurt you a flimsy tent will stop him from doing that. When in bear country tho I do always keep a fire, tent or no tent.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Yeah, you do have to keep an eye out for feral dogs and coyotes, especially in combination. I did kill a dog once that was attacking my livestock. It was my neighbor's dog, a large brute. I shot it. skinned it, threw it on a fire I had built, and fed it to my dogs while my neighbor watched. The police decided not to press charges,

I don't put up with bad animals.