Sleeping pad help please

46u

I need a durable 4 seasons self-inflating sleeping pad. Are there any worth it that are not in the $150 range. If need be with in reason I will pay what it takes. I will be going on a yearlong road trip and need something that will hold up and rest my poor old bones. It all so has to be as wide say at least 30 inches as I do a lot of turning during the night. All I have ever had is cheap ones and they gave out quite soon.
Thanks
Jeff

Grandpa

Both of these are 30 inch in the XL size. These are too big and heavy for backpacking but for camp they are awesome. However, they are pricey. You may have to drop your standards or raise your expenditure.

Therm-a-Rest® DreamTime™ self-inflating air mattress

Luxury Map Mattress from Therm-a-Rest

I have an old thermarest "camp comfort" that suits me well as a toss and turner. It is a 26" and 2 inch thick. It was well below your $150 sorta like $39 on a close out. But that was a few years ago.

Last edited:

46u

I have been looking at the Therm-a-Rest you pay for them. At my age I need all the comfort I can get. Are both the ones you are talking about 4 season? I will look them up. All so where can you get them at the best price? With the way me knees are I can not do backpacking. I do all my camping on a motorcycle with sidecar since the children where grown.
Thanks
Jeff

46u

Do you have room in the side car to carry a blow up mattres? Just an idea.
I see you are not real far from me. Been to so the museum in Kennesaw a couple years ago on the bike. Very enjoyable museum.

Thanks but I have read where they might not be the best for cold weather. I am planing to do so cold weather camping on my trip. Since I now have a hack on the bike I want to ride in snow at least once. I did ride in snow in Yellow Stone Park once but did not last long.

ppine

Forester
I like Thermarest and have used them for 30 years. Big Agnes is my second choice.

I especially like the Thermarest Basecamp, which is heavy but very comfortable.

Last edited:

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Slept on a thermarest in my hammock on a cold night. Therm-a-rest is a good name. I sweated my ass off on that thing overnight. Happily returned it to its owner in the morning. Took my sleeping bag a while to drain off the sweat.

Judy Ann

Wow, traveling for a year on a motorcycle sounds like fun. You may want to consider the ratings on a pad while traveling up north especially in below zero temps. I use two pads in the Appalachians when the temps get below 35 degrees. I use a thermarest on top of a closed cell pad with an appropriate bag for the conditions as advised by experienced friends. It works perfectly with appropriate clothes. Lots to consider across this nation depending on the season.

Good luck on your adventure!

IndianaHiker

There are options in that are less than 100 bucks. However the one requirement that you had that the pad e 30 inches or more make that harder. If willing to go down in width I would Suggest a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core. Has good thermal ratings and is pretty comfortable. However standard model is no 30 inches wide.