Snake bites

Foxyloxy

I almost hate to ask this question because I'm afraid it's going to jinx me, lol, but what do you do if you get bitten? I have this vision of getting bit and then running through the woods or my property or wherever with a snake attached to my ankle while I'm having the biggest panic attack of my life. When they bite do they release right away? Or do you have to remove them? And what is the best plan of action if you suspect it might be poisonous?

3ofusnow

I am pretty sure they release after they bite and if it's a poisonous snake seek medical attention ASAP! If you are camping there are snake bite kits you can take with you but you would still need to seek medical attention.

Foxyloxy

My husband was talking about those snake bite kits last night and I think we need to get one. We live in the swamp and snakes are abundant here. Thankfully neither one of us has had a problem yet beyond surprise encounters and the snakes usually try to get away from us as fast as they can. But the day may come when we encounter one that wants to stand his ground and because we're so far removed from town we should have something on hand to treat ourselves while we wait for medical attention. I just hope that if we're ever in that position these buggers bite and release because if I have to cope with the fact that I've just been attacked AND the thing is still attached to me I do believe I would lose my ever loving mind, lol.

failghe

I would think you need to find medical help ASAP. In the mean time try to keep the bite area elevated higher than your heart. Most snakes that I have seen either stay put and don't move if hiding away from you, or slither away when you get close. However the girlfriend insisted that we buy the snake kit just in case. Hope we never have to use it.

southerngal

I am right there with you FoxyLoxy. I am absolutely terrified of snakes and until recently we lived in the country where I am told (never saw thankfully) that they are abundant. I was always afraid of one getting in the house.