Survial seminar

outdoorchick

Just found out that one of our local state parks is doing a survival seminar in a few weeks. It is only a couple of hours long, but is supposed to cover local edibles, shelter building, and fire making. I am pretty excited. Check out your state parks they might have something cool like this too!

Grandpa

Sounds great. Everyone needs to learn the basics and if we know the basics a reminder sure doesn't hurt either.

oldsarge

Great idea! I'm going to look into it, always need another eason to get out of the house!!!

Michael

I wish I lived near some place that did things like this. I'm already good with fires and passable with shelters, but you can always learn something new.

wvbreamfisherman

You never get to be such an expert that you can't learn something- even if it's a new way to screw up.

That said, I'm nowhere close to being an expert, so there is PLENTY of room for me to learn.

Hyde

I love taking survival seminars. I have taken quite a few but I find each time I go to one I learn something new. Different presenters and teachers will explore something different from the next.

DThewanderer

They aren't doing anything like that here, I wish they did. I guess we are just to much of a city for anyone to think that there would be a need for that.

indoorwife

That does sound like a great idea. I'm planning on signing up for First Aid the next time it becomes available at our local ambulance service. I've taken CPR through them and they made it easy and fun.

outdoorchick

We actually went to the park that it is being held at with the kids this weekend to check it out and wander around. Hiking trails with a two year old and a five month old was umm...interesting to say the least, but we all had fun.

outwest

I wish the places in my area would do something like this. Lately some parents are up in arms over the scouts (and the not "official" scouts) who are not teaching the basics to our kids. This could be a good family activity.

alex k

went to one at our state park last year . most important thing i learned was to always have a 55 gal trash bag in the pack . on a cool night i was toasty warm in 5 min ...........

Qweetzy

Sounds good. You can always pick up tips from others. I wish our local state parks were as active as this. They pretty much don't do much as far as teaching camping skills let alone survival skills.