.....survival gear

dinosaur

troublemaker
Filtering water. Rinse in water and wring it out then wrap it around your neck for summer cooling. Washcloth. Face wrap in the wind and dust. Ear covering for cold wind. carry sack for foodstuffs and other things found on the trail. I've got more but no time.

Pathfinder1

Filtering water. Rinse in water and wring it out then wrap it around your neck for summer cooling. Washcloth. Face wrap in the wind and dust. Ear covering for cold wind. carry sack for foodstuffs and other things found on the trail. I've got more but no time.

Hi...

Thanks. That's my primary filter for questionable water. Also for the ear covering.

Grandpa

Triangle bandage (folded) to support a sprained ankle, wrap a compress over a wound, and a head covering.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I'm back. I had to run the other day and didn't finish my post. However, I see that Grandpa (as usual) and alex k have rounded out the list very nicely.

The only other thing I was going to say is that my neckerchief is actually an olive drab scarf I picked up as surplus from Desert Storm.

Johnnytarr

If its a bright color, signaling. If its cotton, charcloth. If youre a barefoot hippie (no offense) foot protection when walking through thorny areas. Sling shot. Climbing aid. Eye patch. Gloves. And really anything else you could use a strong flexible cloth for

oldsarge

We used the issue cravats we got from the medics for all sorts of things. The best was using them in the common shower in the barracks for snap rag fights. You definitely didn't want to be caught by others from another platoon in the shower unarmed. If you were outnumbered, you could wrap your soap in the cravat and swing your way out. Those were the days!

Pathfinder1

I'm back. I had to run the other day and didn't finish my post. However, I see that Grandpa (as usual) and alex k have rounded out the list very nicely.

The only other thing I was going to say is that my neckerchief is actually an olive drab scarf I picked up as surplus from Desert Storm.

Hi...

Mine are also OD. Much larger than a typical handerkerchief.

Pathfinder1

If its a bright color, signaling. If its cotton, charcloth. If youre a barefoot hippie (no offense) foot protection when walking through thorny areas. Sling shot. Climbing aid. Eye patch. Gloves. And really anything else you could use a strong flexible cloth for

Hi...

A slingshot...there's something I never thought of...some great ideas here.

ppine

Forester
In the West, people who cowboy for a living are prone to wear very large silk scarves around the neck. I urge all outdoor people to invest in one and you will thank me. Find them at saddle shops or western wear stores. They are warm in winter, cool in summer, durable, and really beautiful.