Sweet Tooth

InTheWoods

I have always loved toasting marshmallows over an open fire but I haven't been very creative with any other type of sweets. A full meal for me has to include dessert! Anybody have any other sweets they like to fix over the campfire?

hikinboot

Smores are a classic and easy to do. You can also do small cakes wrapped in tinfoil. They don't take long and taste real good.

Judy Ann

Apples cored and stuffed with raisins, and granola or brown sugar. Wrap them in heavy duty foil and place on the coals until soft and hot.

I love fresh fruit grilled on the campfire especially halved peaches and sliced pineapple. I carry a grillpan and place it right on top of the heat source and spray it with Pam before setting the fruit on it. The heat brings out the natural sweetness.

InTheWoods

I would love to learn more about dutch ovens. My husband got one several years ago and we haven't used it much. Cobbler sounds like the way to get me started using it!

InTheWoods

Thank you for the link Judy! It's going to be fun reviewing these recipes, and I'm sure my husband will want to look at them too. This will be fun planning our first really "outdoor" meal!

Judy Ann

InTheWoods: Please share any recipe or technique that you like with the rest of us as we tend to get a few favorites and don't experiment beyond those. Have fun camping this year!

InTheWoods

InTheWoods: Please share any recipe or technique that you like with the rest of us as we tend to get a few favorites and don't experiment beyond those. Have fun camping this year!
I like fresh fruit and an easy, quick fix I like to make is to mix equal parts of cream cheese and marshmallow cream. It makes an awesome dip for fresh fruit.... especially berries!

Sophia

Actually, we look forward to the S'mores. I know we should probably get more creative, but we like those. Anything else at the campsite would probably be too much work, anyway.