Things you had to learn the hard way

Wild Bill

Life is all about experience and experience is the best teacher. No matter how much you read or someone explains how easy or difficult something is you can never really know until you do it yourself.

The first time I tried to start a fire by rubbing sticks together quickly became my last. I got it done, but it took what seemed like hours in the dark. That is when I decided to always double and triple check for matches!

Gondor

I know what you mean, you gotta try in order to learn it. Trial and error, trial and error... And regarding the fire, magnesium fire starter is also a great option.

oldsarge

As a young private in Panama, I once left all my gear behind in my position, then walked into the base to visit a freind going to school there. I lost track of time and got a late start back. It got dark and I missed my trail leading back to my position in the jungle. I tried to find my way back and ended up spending the entire night lost and alone without any gear at all. One of the creepiest nights of my life! About 6 months down the road I did the exact same thing again, except this I had a friend with me. We both left all our gear behind as we went to base to take of some business. Again, it got dark and we got lost with no gear at all. Lesson learned the hard way, never leave your gear behind for anything and pay attention to what your doing.

Refrigerator

My second year in Alaska Wrangell-St.Elias NP our Bush pilot takes me out to Mt Blackburn near the Nabesna Glacier with another member of our team. His plane is a wide body super cub so he can carry 2 people along with himself. We take only 1 backpack and it's not mine. We wait several hrs waiting for his return with our 3rd team member and my backpack. Waiting for several hrs more when the weather turns for the worst. Rain and winds...... Finally after 5 hrs he returns with our 3rd team member and my Backpack....lesson learned......I never ever leave my Backpack or gear PERIOD.

Jobiwan

I have learned that cheap equipment will leave you equipment-less. I've bought cheap flashlights that tend to not work when needed, The right shoes for the terrain, Having more than one way to start a fire, carrying two partial rolls of toilet paper (left one in a privy once, only once!).

Refrigerator

I have learned that cheap equipment will leave you equipment-less. I've bought cheap flashlights that tend to not work when needed, The right shoes for the terrain, Having more than one way to start a fire, carrying two partial rolls of toilet paper (left one in a privy once, only once!).
Yes another reason to buy quality.

gear-report

Gear junkie
When backpacking, I've learned that less is more.
I used to carry 40-50 Lb packs for weekend outings (don't ask).
Was so tired from hauling that gear that I didn't enjoy things too much.
Good thing I was young and in shape.
20+ years older now, I carry a much lighter set of gear and enjoy the trips much more. Some of my weight cutting was in leaving home the stuff I didn't need, some was in evolution of equipment (ie. 5 Lb coleman multifuel + Sigg bottles of white case have been replaced by an assortment of alcohol stoves and smaller alcohol bottles. I cook with wood when possible and have the stoves for backup.)

Bud

Always do a trial run tent set-up in your backyard when you have bought a new tent or haven't used your old one in awhile. Figuring it out in the rain is bad timing.

Qweetzy

I learned the hard way not to saddle a horse without shoes on. A broken ankle/foot and several abrasions later, I learned to wear hard toed boots when saddling.

We had a HUGE Clydesdale type horse when I was a teen, who had a bad habit of leaning on you when you were saddling her. She took her HUGE hoof and stepped on my foot at the ankle joint. She then rotated her hoof without raising it ON MY FOOT! My poor father, who was a minister, learned that day how many curse words I actually knew at 15 years of age.

IndianaHiker

Not to skimp and buy cheap gear. It either breaks or you end up buying better stuff later so you end up spending even more money in the long run.

Sophia

I learned to keep a checklist and do not leave anything out! The one thing you forget will be the main thing you needed! Plan well in advance, and write down everything as it comes to mind.

FastTrack

I've learned to listen to my body. I can't take as much punishment as I used to, and I've paid the price of trying to keep up with younger people, or even my younger self.

Chilly

Everyone should follow that advice, not just those who are older or who have other problems. I've been guilty of going too far myself if I am honest.

Bud

My lesson is the same one fishermen have learned over and over probably for thousands of years---don't forget the net! Why is it you don't get skunked when you forget the net??

dinosaur

troublemaker
I learned a few things the hard way, but not many. That is because my Daddy and my Grandaddy went before me. They pounded it into me when I was very young.

The most important lesson was patience and the learned inability to become vexed with inanimate objects.

Grandpa

I've learned a few things the hard way, and according to the above posts, I still have lessons to learn. (I have some very cheap but serviceable equipment that has lasted me for years) But something I have never had to learn because (like Dino) it was pounded in early is when I hit the trail my bic lighter, my 2 cell aaa minimag lite and my water bottle are always with me. Oh yea, and I always have a small partial roll of TP in my back pocket.

ChadTower

I learned a few things the hard way, but not many. That is because my Daddy and my Grandaddy went before me. They pounded it into me when I was very young.

The most important lesson was patience and the learned inability to become vexed with inanimate objects.

Same here. There are several rules that are to be followed at all times. Follow them and you prevent most problems. Basic skills, have the right tools, know your environment and its cues. Use your basic skills all the time - don't rely on convenience tools to make it easier. Practiced skills work and out of practice skills often won't. Sure, that lighter might make things easier, but if you lose it you'd better be able to start a fire another way.

yosemitefan

What I learned when I was a newbie hiker? Wear quality socks (wool), keep an extra pair. Make sure they are dry and bring Moleskin. Without your feet, you are nothing on the trail. I got the blisters to prove it.