Threats

peanut

It seems like at least once a year some backpackers make the national news because they've been abducted while in the wild. Do you worry about outside threats like stalkers?

deb60

Nope. I don't worry about anyone bothering me while I am out hiking. I do carry mace with me when I'm alone. I just think you never know if you will need it.

Michael

I'm not really concerned.

You can't live your life in fear. You will take no joy in it. Instead of enjoying a wonderful hobby, you'll spend all your time worried that something bad will happen. That sucks, and I refuse to to be held captive by fear.

At the same time, there's no reason to be a chump. Keep your eyes open. Be prepared to react if danger should present itself. Your walking stick and knife are deadly weapons that you can use to defend yourself if the unthinkable should happen, and you can use them to keep yourself alive. It's a horrible thing to need to hurt another person, but no more horrible than any other survival situation.

It's like street smarts. Being street smart doesn't mean that you need to be paralyzed with fear. It just means that you need to be prepared and be ready to act to preserve yourself.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
I agree that it is good to be vigilant and prepared, but I don't let it preoccupy my adventures. My biggest concern around here is bears and cougars, and not really other people so much.

There have been times when I have concealed myself and observed a situation before proceeding though, but only on trails close to the city where the rowdies and the hoodlums have the where-with-all to actually get to. Given the choice of avoiding rowdies in the woods or engaging them, I will generally avoid if possible.

There are also a few areas in the hills that are well known to be unsafe, and in some it is said that law enforcement won't even go there. Pot growers, survivalist camps, crazy old hillbillies & hermits, and just weird stuff. I won't hike those areas.

DThewanderer

Some of those cases turn out to be that it was someone that they knew. I just try not to hang out with people who are capable of such things.

wildmonger

Old-not-bold member
good question. People are hassled everyday and even killed, but if you try to purposely put yourself in that situation, it'll never happen. It's just too rare. Most people in the back country or in parks are plain nice folks who're tripping over themselves to help out in any way.
I've traveled alone in many countries without ever having a single problem with hooligans. Of course my beard was down to my navel, and my hair below my shoulders, and I carried more dirt than could accidentally get on me. People left me alone though.
Where exactly, was I - you ask. Well, Norway, and all European countries south, Colombia (evilest country in the world), Nepal, China, Pacific rim, South Sea islands, Thailand, Canada and of course, U.S. with all of its bikers, drugees, low-lifes, quasi-cops, and . . . self-important National Park rangers.
There are snakes, spiders, wolves, cougars, bears, skunks, rabid bats, wild boars, gators, scorpions, and moose (I was almost killed by a moose), but the most frightening, deceitful, cunning, and by far the most threatening is the . . . fellow human. Beware, but be not afraid.

RedHorse

I generally make a point of not traveling alone, including while on hikes. I'm a fairly young woman, and I was raised to be alert and aware of potentially dangerous situations that can occur when unaccompanied. Malicious people aren't my first concern while hiking, but I still keep an eye out.

Grady

I generally don't hike alone, but if I do I keep my eyes open. There is a popular hiking trail about an hour away from my house where a woman was found dead last year. They still haven't caught the killer or discovered a motive - it looks like just on of those random acts of violence.

SmackontheWeb

Keeping aware of one's surroundings is (for me) one of the key tenants of backpacking/camping. Another is to be prepared. The wilderness is no different to me than going into the city in the respect I will not go without a means to protect myself. I seldom have much contact with people when I am out in the wilderness anyway. The trails/areas I am in are usually not frequented by the causual hiker or tourists.

Alliegator

I won't hike alone and try to hike in groups of 3 or more. We carry mace, pepper spray and if we are in our own state, we take concealed weapons since we are licensed to conceal here. I haven't ever had any trouble with people. It's the animals that we've had trouble with. Bears are notorious for getting into people's camp sites here since they are so pampered by the tourists with snacks being thrown to them like they were pet dogs. They also tend to try to stalk us since they are so unafraid of humans. I won't bother them unless they turn out to be vicious and come after us.

DunandAway

You really just have to be very careful when you are on the trail. If it is very remote, you are pretty safe, especially if you are with a group. Semi urban areas are not safe for the most part because of the gangs and drug dealers that have taken over the areas. Just find out if the area is safe before you go. If not, don't go there, find an alternative.

Newanderthal

I worry about getting mugged on my lunch break or getting into a car wreck while driving home. I worry about getting salmonella from processed foods and the flu from co-workers. I worry about getting laid off if the economy slumps further or getting all the bills paid on time. Those are the things that are likely to happen, so I worry about them.

The 1/1,000,000,000 chance that I'll be abducted while backpacking is like planning my finances around winning the lottery.

And if someone decides to abduct me, they'll be worrying about stitches and blood loss because I keep a khukuri with me and my girlfriend is tough enough that she got into a fistfight with a full grown lab and won.

scarynickname

I almost always go hiking by myself. I don't worry about anything, ever. When I was quite young I came across saying form some religion (I think it was Hindu) that basicaly boils down to "if you have something that worries you and you can fix it, then fix it and stop worring about it. If you have something that worries you that you can't fix then that's just how it's going to be, no use in worying over it" If it's my time, it's just my time. Then again, I'm 6'2" and 240 lbs, no one wants to drag me around.

Michael

I carry a hardwood walking stick and several very sharp knives. I wish no one the slightest bit of harm, but when threatened I react very quickly and violently if I feel it's necessary. I'm also pretty sure I can run faster terrified than many people can angry.

Also, I'm generally in more danger riding the subway in Boston than I am out hiking by myself in the middle of nowhere. Statistically, I'd much rather be out in the woods than in the city in terms of likelihood of someone to try to do something bad to me.

Finally, I pay close attention to the little voice of reason in the back of my mind. If it tells me something's wrong, I bug out.

I'm not worried. I'm careful, but I don't spend my time being afraid. I'm out in the woods to enjoy nature, not to worry.

faye

Of course I do worry about stalkers around the camp site. That's why I don't camp alone because there's a possible chance that I might get abducted.

SuperFish

I carry several sharp knives and have quite a good punch if anyone one day decides to try anything against me. I do not worry about such things, why worry if you cannot fix it? Just be prepared.

hikingprincess

I guess I never really thought about it. I am a pretty independent woman and i go off on hikes and vacations alone all the time. I agree though if you live your life in fear of what might happen, then you are not truly living.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I'm from a "will issue" state also. I have a lifetime carry permit and I always have a .45ACP with me. I believe like that country song says: My home is protected by the good Lord and a shotgun. If you show up uninvited, you are liable to meet them both.