Three Wheelers Or Four Wheelers?

outdoors Joe

We are getting ready to buy our first ATV and we're wondering if we should even consider the three wheelers. It seems like the four wheelers would be safer and more stable. Are they?

zach

if you want safe get a quad, 3 weelers are alot of fun butt dangerous and deadly in some cases. im a vol. firefighter and ive seen alot of deaths come from 3 weelers. i dont know how it is were your from but up here in ny they offer atv courses , if this is your first atv i would recomend looking into it they are both alot of fun butt people get hurt when they dont know what there doing.

CatsEye

There are enough wrecks on 4 wheelers let alone 3 wheelers. You want the stability but never, ever forget that it is an open vehicle and can be rather dangerous if you are not very careful and make sure you wear the proper protective gear.

HikerChick

I find it so interesting that quads are perceived as safer when physics tell you that triangular groundings are generally more stable. Are there any statistics that say that 3 wheelers are actually in more accidents?

hunter44mag

HikerChick, I have been around ATV's since they 1st came out. There have been many deaths and injuries with the 3 wheelers. Quads have their fair share, but no where as many. The bike companys have quit making 3 wheelers and alot of states have outlawed them. You information may have come from street trykes. From personal experiance, there is no similarity between street and ATV. the 3 wheeled Atv is hard to hold straight. I shudder to think of having to steer one at highway speed. The quads actually fun to steer, some even have power steering.

GPER

Years ago I had two three wheelers, I think they were as stable as quads. I have seen rocks catch the front tires on quads on down hill slopes and flip the quad on top of the rider, Same could happen on a three wheeler too. The rider had the safety gear on and still had 4 broken ribs and a broken collar bone. That is why I like my Jeep CJ and Polaris Ranger 6x6, they both have full cages, seat belts and shoulder harnesses.

Judy Ann

What do you plan to use them for? Great for hauling deer out of the woods, hog hunting if you can't ride a horse, pulling a trailer of supplies out to the garden, riding through the woods to a neighbors house, but dangerous as heck none the less.