Tournaments

fishingfred

Anyone here ever compete in a tournament? There's a lot where I fish and I was thinking that even if I don't do any good it'd be good to try and maybe I'll pick up a few pointers.

dinosaur

troublemaker
You don't have to compete to watch. Watch carefully and you might learn something. Just remember that fishing is as much art as it is science. If the fish are there and feeding, anyone can catch them. It's when they are reluctant that experience will win the day.

fishingfred

That's a good idea Dinosaur-watching the first few times to see how it's done and pick up pointers that way. Saves me the signup money and I can get an idea of how experienced the others are.

DMan

There are a couple of fishing derbies on the lake every summer, sponsored by the local marina. It's more a fund raiser for charity and of course bragging rights. I've never won but it's always a lot of fun.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

There are lots of bass tourneys around here, but I've never been interested in competing. Somehow, the "wholesale" taking of fish...even though they may be released later..has never appealed to me. Just doesn't seem very sporting.

I think that you'll find that many of the "pros" have multiple thousands of dollars invested in their gear, though.

However, if that's your goal, give it a look...and maybe try it out.

Gabbie

We used to belong to a fishing club where we live and they had tournaments once a month. This was saltwater fishing. It was mostly for Reds and Trout and usually one extra species that was different each month. They were always fun. And you are right Dinosaur, when those fish are reluctant to bite, you need to do a lot of searching around and figuring out just what they want to 'eat' that day in order to put any in the boat.

wvbreamfisherman

It's not my kind of fishing, too much like work, but I have fished with some tournament fishermen and learned a lot. My buddy Stan is like a casting machine out there!

When I fish, I want to relax and just have a good time, but those guys are deadly serious (and you have to be to do well tournament fishing).