Traditional Christmas meal or different?

CampingFamily

Do you always go for the traditional meal at Christmas, Turkey, dressing, etc. or do you sometimes opt for something totally different? We are actually going for seafood this year. Fried fish, shrimp, clams and crab (if we can find some good ones). :)

ponderosa

Turkey with the trimmings is great for Thanksgiving, but I definitely don't want that again at Christmas. We sometimes have wild-caught halibut or salmon if we can find it really fresh (not easy around here). Other times we've had lasagne, clam chowder, ham, prime rib, etc. We have Christmas Eve with my husband's family, and one year the men volunteered to handle the meal. We had a hot dog bar. They have not been trusted with menu decisions since then.

Grandpa

Whose got time for food with all the peanuts and candy to eat and presents to play with? Oh yeah, Grandma still has to cook up something special or she would have a fit. Usually a big bird or part of a dead pig or both.

Sad story time? Our oldest daughters first Christmas? She was born Dec 23. The nice doctors thought it would be okay to send them home from the nice warm hospital with those great cooks so they could spend Christmas at home with the family. Grandma one had planned to come to town to help out but got pneumonia and couldn't. Grandma two was all ready here but fell off her porch that morning, broke her arm and was in the hospital herself. So I not only had a brand new baby and a very sore wife to tend but 70 holstein milk cows and all their kith and kin to tend. Not to mention a mother still in the hospital and a Dad at his house needing help with the snow. And a blizzard was raging to boot. Got them home from the hospital, got a big fire going in the old coal range and headed out for 6 hours of chores. After chores had one hungry wife. Wife loved elk so threw a couple of elk steaks on to broil and wife about lost it. For whatever reason, the wild meat smell really got to her. So we packed up that 1 1/2 day old baby in the 4x4truck and headed out in a raging blizzard for the little cafe 1 mile down the road. Just got settled in with meals ordered and two of the local nurses came in. Boy did they read me the riot act for bringing wife and baby out in that storm. I really was afraid they would turn me in to social services for child abuse. But, when they heard the options, they settled down and all turned out well. That daughter still loves snow storms and winter, my wife got her taste back for elk and the cows continued to get milked on time.

Last edited:

firedancer

We usually have tamales and enchiladas at my aunt's house. When I lived in Seattle, our tradition (if my family was visiting at Christmas) was to go down to Pike Place Market and grab a bunch of Dungeness crabs....yum! That is one tradition I miss, but the tamales are good too!

Lamebeaver

I have a friend who has a tamale party every year at Christmas.

This year it will be Beef Wellington for us.

Still working on that 25 lb. Thanksgiving turkey.

ejdixon

After Thanksgiving, I think I've had enough turkey to last me an entire year. Seafood for Christmas sounds really good. Would probably give that a try if we could find some good ones.

LoveTheWater

We are usually the same here. Turkey for Thanksgiving is enough. We all try to figure out just what we would like for Christmas dinner. Sometimes we will put it all in a hat and draw to see what it will be. :)

outwest

A little bit of everything goes a long way. We are somewhat traditional and somewhat a little funky. We always have at least two random things that we toss up and give it a go (one is always something new we have never tried before).

ppine

Forester
A friend hosts Xmas Eve dinner for about 20 people. He is a Catholic Italian so the tradition is seafood. Really good stuff like lobster bisque, crab cakes, bbq salmon, halibut with cream sauce, etc. It is highlight every year.

Gabbie

We generally go for something other then turkey. We sometimes will grill something outside if the weather is nice, which sometimes it is actually warm (being here in Florida). It may be chicken or ribs, just whatever everyone has agreed to. :)

FreeWilly

My family has always cooked a turkey on Christmas or a ham. I prefer a ham, but I wouldn't be opposed to chicken either. I wouldn't want to have pasta or anything like that though. I have an Italian friend that has a buffet of pasta items for Christmas.

wvbreamfisherman

We did a beef roast for Thanksgiving, and it's looking like turkey and ham for Christmas. It will be at my brother's place- they were at her parents for Thanksgiving. I need to get with my sis-in-law and coordinate on menus.

southerngal

One side of my family always does lasagna, and the other side always does bbq and brunswick stew. My husband's family usually does a ham, dressing, and all the fixings.