Trying to keep up.

OutdoorsGirl

I went trekking today with a friend and I had trouble keeping up. Is there any type of training I can do to help me keep up better. I plan to do some solitary hikes, but anything else?

Michael

Primarily, hike more. The more you hike, the more you'll grow accustomed to it. Don't push yourself too hard. Just make a point of hiking a few times a week.

Judy Ann

I don't know what your general fitness level is now, or how old you are, or where you plan to hike or how far. My sister swims a mile a day, lifts weights 5 days a week and is in excellent shape and will climb to the top of a mountain in much less time than I can even think about it (of course it is my old dog that slows me down!) ;-) Back in my 20's I'd run 5 miles before a long hike. I trained hard to keep up with the "Big Boys."

If I were going to hike 20 miles with a 30 pound pack on my back, my training would be much different than for an 8 mile walk in the woods with a day pack containing a few emergency supplies, water and lunch for me and my dog.

Check with your doctor if you have any health questions/concerns before starting a new fitness program, and as Michael said, keep hiking a little further each time several times a week. Take plenty of water and a buddy. Have fun and remember to stop and smell the wild flowers once in a while! Please keep us posted on your progress.

Refrigerator

Walking stairs will set you free in the field. Also graduate to a pack on your shoulders while doing this and adding some weight as you progress. Give yourself 3 weeks every other day walking stairs (steps) and you will notice the difference when you hit the trails.

Michael

Walking stairs will set you free in the field. Also graduate to a pack on your shoulders while doing this and adding some weight as you progress. Give yourself 3 weeks every other day walking stairs (steps) and you will notice the difference when you hit the trails.
When I was on the UMass fencing team, we used to do this on rainy days. One of the buildings on campus was 15 floors high. We'd go down to the basement, then walk up to the 15th floor. Take the elevator down to the basement (because down stairs is hard on the knees) and then do it again. Do that a few times and it's a Hell of a workout. Keep up a constant pace, and rest when you're waiting for the elevator.

After a semester of doing this once or twice a week, my legs were like steel bars. I miss being in that sort of shape.

Grandpa

What pace did the friend set? Maybe they were walking too fast. A long hike requires a steady pace rather than a speed walk. My wife takes off like a turpentined jack rabbit, then after a couple miles complains because her knees hurt. Always let the slowest hiker set the pace. Otherwise, you have the convoy effect. First hiker hesitates a step to cross a creek, each hiker has to hestitate as well, then first hiker resumes full speed. Each hiker behind then has to hesitate crossing as well, then the last hiker has to make up all those hesitations.

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
I went trekking today with a friend and I had trouble keeping up. Is there any type of training I can do to help me keep up better. I plan to do some solitary hikes, but anything else?
Squats, lunges, jumping jacks (work the calve muscles), light jogging.

oldsarge

Squats, lunges, jumping jacks (work the calve muscles), light jogging.
I agree, look into "Hindu squats", done with your own body weight. It's a great exercise and did wonders for me. Builds stamina and strength without heavy weights.

OutdoorsGirl

What pace did the friend set? Maybe they were walking too fast. A long hike requires a steady pace rather than a speed walk. My wife takes off like a turpentined jack rabbit, then after a couple miles complains because her knees hurt. Always let the slowest hiker set the pace. Otherwise, you have the convoy effect. First hiker hesitates a step to cross a creek, each hiker has to hestitate as well, then first hiker resumes full speed. Each hiker behind then has to hesitate crossing as well, then the last hiker has to make up all those hesitations.
She walks fast. I personally like to enjoy myself. I don't consider my self slow, except beside her. I will try the stair thing and the squats. It can't hurt to build more stamina.

Betty

Doing lots of walking and building up to doing intervals where you walk briskly for a minute or two, and then kind of speed walk for a minute or two for longer and longer durations will build stamina.

OutdoorsGirl

Thanks for the great suggestions. I asked her if maybe she could slow her pace a notch or two until I get better, she agreed, I think she enjoys the company.

Michael

Doing lots of walking and building up to doing intervals where you walk briskly for a minute or two, and then kind of speed walk for a minute or two for longer and longer durations will build stamina.
You could do what my brother does and sprint up short hills and walk the rest of the time. I've taken to doing it, and it's actually sort of fun. You get a bit out of breath the first few times, but then you don't any more.