Tying flies

JimBarb

My brother expressed interest in this as a hobby, and I was considering getting him the stuff to "get started with" for Christmas.

Is there any particular "starter kit" I can source, that would get him started, or do I have to 'build' one from scratch?

Archer

Amazon has quite a few great beginner's kits, I believe. Search for "combo kit" and I think you'll find the one my cousin brought home after attending a summer camp that offered a fly fishing course this year.

cdavis

Cabelas, Bass pro shops, and janns netcraft all offer several kits to start ranging from dry and wets to combos to ones that have patterns specially for trout, salmon or bass

Joe S.

I would suggest getting him a book on the topic first, so that he could get an understanding of what is involved and so he has the right tools to get started.

Joe S.

You know, another thought on the matter is for him to look into an adult education course on the subject. I used to teach a class that met for six weeks. He would certainly know after that if he wants to pursue it.

Betty

Oh I think the class would be a fun thing to do, especially in the winter! I'll admit that I'm more interested in the artsy aspect of the fly tying than I am the fishing.