Used or New Equipment

CFlyer

Is it always better to buy equipment that are new instead of used ones? I am considering to buy an army tent by a friend of mine but I don't know if this is a good thing.

IndianaHiker

Depends on what you are planning on doing with it. I am a backpacker so I don't like to use any Army Surplus stuff. I had enough of that heavy gear wen I was in. In almost all cases civilian gear is lighter and better for backpacking. If you are car camping and don't mind the weight and the extra work to set the tent up then I am sure it will work for you. I would say way the good and the bad about that tent. Then compare the price that you can get it for versus a civilian tent of the same size. Used gear can be a good deal of it is what you need and in good condition.

oldsarge

I agree with IndianaHiker. The Army tent may be heavy duty and real sturdy but it's going to weight you down if your backpacking. I don't do a whole lot of backpacking but I know I don't want to be carrying around surplus equipment like that. What size is this tent your looking at?

Pathfinder1

I usually don't trek very far,
when all around me black bears are.

Military surplus tents, especially the older ones, are made from rather heavy canvas, and I doubt if you would want to carry one very far.

I once spent a few weeks of summer in Alaska's Arctic, on Alpine tundra (the first time I was there when it wasn't winter!). I lived in an Army eight-man umbrella tent which I had to set up by myself. But you better believe that I didn't pack it in myself...it was flown in...very heavy...but a nice shelter after it was set up.

I've also used smaller Military tents, but never would include them on a trek due to their weight. Even during World War II soldiers didn't carry a "whole" tent...the carried half a tent, and shared it with someone else who had another half tent.

Lamebeaver

On the other hand, I bought a TNF down bag several years ago from a coworker for $30. Great bag!

Craigslist is a good place to look. Just make sure it's something you really want, as you can't usually return it.

Greatoutdoors

Just depends on what it is really. Sometimes you can get great deals on equipment that has barely (or never) been used that people just want to get out of the way. Just make sure you check over the equipment really good before you pay for it. :)

Grandpa

Like I said on an earlier post. We were at a large Desert Industries (thrift store) when they wheeled out a large sack with some canvas. So I forked out the $3.00 for the pig in a poke. Got it home and it was a 10x14 foot cabin tent, just like new with a vinyl/canvas bathtub type floor. Five foot sidewalls. (but no poles:tinysmile_cry_t4:)

New is good but cheaper is better if you can use it and it's in good shape.

Blueskyy

We have bought a lot of used stuff and never had a problem. Some people think you just have to have everything "new", but you can spend a lot less if you are willing to look around.

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
I've actually bought a lot of backpacking clothes from ebay. I got a TNF Nupse down jacket (with hood) for $25. It's not cheap like that anymore though. Prices seem to be almost the same as retail for many items.

If you have some type of gear swap in your area it would be a good place to pick up some used equipment too.

ejdixon

Just depends on what it is really. Sometimes you can get great deals on equipment that has barely (or never) been used that people just want to get out of the way. Just make sure you check over the equipment really good before you pay for it. :)
I agree. There are still lots of people out there fall prey to impulse shopping that can be so beneficial to us looking for a good deal.

When checking over the equipment, and you find that it's still fairly new, check if they have any warranties that come along with them, and make sure not to leave without it.

eyebp

Senator
Car camping? Sure. backpacking? No way. At least not when it comes to gear like tents or water treatment. I don't want to take any chances on something failing in the backcountry. I don't have extra money to throw around but I have to have gear I can count on.