Vegan campfire ideas

DThewanderer

My niece is a vegan and will be going camping with us. She is not allowed to have marshmallows. Any ideas what this kid can roast over the fire while the other kids do marshmallows?

Ranger

Chestnuts are best for roasting. I like them better than marshmallows, actually. Or if you can find a cooking banana that is also great for roasting. You can cut it 1cm wide and peel the pieces before putting them a skewer. I wish you and everyone a great time!

orchard

I would love to know too, we have family coming out this fall and always do a BBQ but this time around my sister in law will visit and while we all love her, no one has a clue what to cook. Or for that matter what not to cook.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Well, you could just cut her out to graze. Sorry. Bad joke. Ranger's idea is very good. You can also pop popcorn over a fire or skewer an ear of sweetcorn with the husk on after you soak it for about a half hour in water and roast it over the campfire. Sweet potatoes are another option but they take a while and are best wrapped in foil and placed next to the coals.

DThewanderer

Because gelatin comes from bones(of joints or something), which comes from animals, which means she can't eat them. I really like the banana idea. You know maybe I could get all the kids to try bananas before marshmallows and get them to fill up on natural sugars first.

Hyde

Yeah, not only are there vegan marshmallows, there are vegan hot dogs and hamburgers. If she doesn't do dairy either then there are lots of ice cream alternatives to. Tofuti Cuties, for example, is an ice cream bar. They are actually so good that I can give them to my kids and they don't notice the difference.