Walking Sticks

hikinboot

What do you use for walking sticks? Do you use walking sticks? I was told by some that it was necessary and by others that it was useless, what is your opinion?

IndianaHiker

Love my trekking poles. They help with balance on unstable ground. Help to climb and descend hills and take some weight off of your knees.

Refrigerator

what IndianaHiker said is pretty much it. Facts.....They will increase your balance, and help with taking weight off your knees. When Walking sticks first appeared on the Backpacking scene I scoffed at them until I tried them out. I had originally used a staff and have high regards for any one who uses a staff. I prefer sticks.

hikinboot

Is it better to have 2 sticks or is 1 okay? I have seen people use just 1, while others use 2, are there any benefits to only using 1 versus using 2? What brands are best?

Michael

I use both trekking poles and walking sticks. I use one at a time, because I like having one hand free. My preference is for walking sticks, but the trekking poles are easier to transport because you can telescope them smaller.

I currently use a lilac walking stick. I trimmed away the dry outer layer, and the wood is smooth and comfortable, not to mention really strong. I only wish that it was about six inches longer for tough downhills.

Refrigerator

I use both trekking poles and walking sticks. I use one at a time, because I like having one hand free. My preference is for walking sticks, but the trekking poles are easier to transport because you can telescope them smaller.

I currently use a lilac walking stick. I trimmed away the dry outer layer, and the wood is smooth and comfortable, not to mention really strong. I only wish that it was about six inches longer for tough downhills.
Michael I have several friend whom I backpack with who do exactly what you do. Your approach to your needs are as good as mine with 2 sticks. Some times I think about having that option of one hand free.

Last edited:

mccallum

I have used a walking staff the last few times I hiked. I love my staff for the ups and downs of the trail. It is also useful for those times when the trail is a broken and you need three feet to travel the trail. I like them also for the assitance in pulling one's self up the trial on hills; it give your legs the assit from the arm(s) to ascend. I got my wife to use one also; she as an injury from a car wreak many moons ago and said that the staff helped take pressure off that hip as well as the other hip.

Michael

Michael I have several friend whom I backpack with who do exactly what you do. Your approach to your needs are as good as mine with 2 sticks. Some times I think about having that option of one hand free.
This is a good point: You need to use the tools that work best for you.

Chilly

One had free is a good point-I've struggled in the past, or rather had to stop do get something done because I use two poles. All the same, I like it that way.

Michael

As I've mentioned a couple of times, I've been trying to get my nephew into hiking and camping and such. Yesterday marked a special occasion: He made his first walking stick.

He found the piece of wood. He cut it to length with his Victorinox. He trimmed off the bark and such. It isn't the most attractive walking stick of all time, but it's his.

ChadTower

I tried walking sticks and poles. Never found any benefit from them. Found multiple occasions where I got so fed up with the things I threw them ahead of me to finish the hard spot with a standard four point climb. Maybe it's because I grew up on the coast climbing around on sea rocks with all sorts of hazards. Who knows?

It also annoys me to be climbing on a reasonably trafficked trail and the rocks are all covered in pole scrape marks. At least use wood if you're going to be on an established climb trail.

hikinboot

I am not good with my hands, if I made something it is sure to fall apart, almost immediately. I prefer to buy stuff, least the quality is a little better.

Grandpa

I carry them...on my pack, use them for river crossings, tarp poles, and once in a while bring them out hiking. I prefer keeping my hands free. I also find they slow me down on down hills and rock hopping. I just can't make myself trust them on rocks. Most of my backpacking friends swear by them though.

freedommachine

Hiking pole have many uses
#1 Help support weight
#2 Good way to push a snake off the trail
#3 Can be used as tent poles
#4 Another form of self defense
#5 Unexpected injury, can use to hobble one self out
#6 Great for crossing slippery fast moving streams
#7 Helps keep arms in shape for summer, the pushing down motion helps build triceps
#8 Great tool for testing the depth of water
The list can go on and on....

IndianaHiker

Mine also stop my hands from having edema. the movement and the fact that my hands are not hanging straight down all day stops the swelling.