What do you Recommend for Camping in Cold Temps?

andyspeake

Hi Everyone,

I'm more of a hiker/climber but recently i've been doing some camping.
I'm from Scotland so its usually Freezing!

Last week I was up Glencoe where the temp dropped down to -5C during the night. It was killer as I was way unprepared.

What do you guys recommend is essential when camping in these temps?

Do you use a air bed or just a matt? Do you recommend any sort of in tent heater?

Thanks,
Andrew

hikeorbike

In-tent heaters can be a fire hazard and dangerous. I wouldn't recommend that you use anything like that when you go to sleep.

The simple answer? Layers! Lots of layers.

andyspeake

Lol I had about 5 layers and my sleeping bag - although it isin't great quality.

I think the reason I froze was because I didn't have any sleeping matt/mattress and it was only a thin layer on my tent floor that separated me from the ground. Very uncomfortable but I'm new too camping :)

Grandpa

A good insulated pad can add 15 degrees F to your bag. Our Rocky Mountain summer nights can dip to below 32 F, 0 C, I use an insulated 2 1/2 inch air core in the summers and in the spring and fall, a 2" thermarest. Because most of my camping is backpacking, I use a 15-20 F down bag. Less weight and more warmth. A good cold weather base layer of underwear also helps immensely. I used to carry a fleece liner for cold but found the clothing to be less restrictive and more efficient for the weight.

On longer trips, I carry a tarp as well. My tent doesn't need the extra protection but I like to put a tarp up against summer showers or summer heat so I have a place for food prep away from my tent. In extremely cold weather, I fashion a lean to with the tarp and use my tent as a ground cloth which gives me added protection from the ground. The lean to will reflect the heat from a fire and is much warmer than the tent. I realize in Scotland you may not have enough available firewood for an all night fire but if you do, the lean to works well.

During the colder seasons I also carry some of those crushable chemical hand warmers. A couple of those inside the bag and you really get warm.

Last edited:

andyspeake

Thanks For the Reply Guys.
I think A sleeping Pad is must, not sure if its any good with the air matresses?

@CozInCowTown - the wifes a smashing idea!

Grandpa

Thanks For the Reply Guys.
I think A sleeping Pad is must, not sure if its any good with the air matresses?

@CozInCowTown - the wifes a smashing idea!
My air core is a Big Agnus. It is an air mattress with a liner inside that insulates. My old bones like that 2 1/2 inch cushion. The 2 inch thermarest is a self inflating pad. For insulation, I really can't tell much difference between the two until it gets really cold, then that extra insulation in the T rest kicks in.

ponderosa

A sleeping pad to insulate you from the ground will make a world of difference. If you have an air mat that is uninsulated, you can use an insulated pad underneath it. I have a down-filled air mat from Exped that I adore...comfy and warm.
I am usually cold, even in the afternoon on hot summer days...so staying warm on autumn nights in the Rockies is tough for me. Some other tricks to stay warm at night are to have a snack before bed (digestion fires the body's furnace and warms you from the inside), and do a little exercise before turning in. You don't want to work up a sweat, just get your heart pumping. Wear a clean base layer and socks to bed, instead of the clothes you hiked in. Even if you think they're dry, they are probably a bit damp and will not warm you as well as clean perfectly dry clothes. Use a hat and gloves of course...down booties are nice as well. Even with all that, and a good down bag and pad, I can still be cold. I resort to a leak-proof water bottle filled with hot water, or chemical hand-warmer packets between two layers of socks and gloves to warm my hands and feet.

andyspeake

If i'm honest i just bought a cheap one and I payed the price for it although I did have 4-5 layers of clothing on.

I'm going to look to invest some money in a good mummy type one, the look very snug and warm.

Grandpa

One additional hint. (I hate to say this) Since I have retired, I have "broadened my horizons". It only took one trip to realize that layering with too tight of clothes took away the insulating ability by crushing them too tight. By going to a size larger with layers 3 and 4, I warmed up much better.

Michael

It's been said already, but it can't be emphasized enough: Insulating yourself from the ground is really important.

If the ground is the slightest bit damp, you might want to toss down a tarp under your tent. Or a tent footprint, if you have one. It can help keep the moisture from coming up through the bottom of your tent. This is really important if you have to pitch your tent on snow or ice, because it's just awful when it melts and soaks you in the middle of the night.

It's also good to pitch your tent out of the wind if possible. Wind blowing on your tent will pull the heat away, especially if you open the thing up at any point.

You can also dress a little more warmly than you need when going to bed. Your bag only keeps you as warm as your body can keep the air inside of it. So you may as well bring some warmed up air in with you, in the form of the stuff trapped in your clothing. Once your bag heats up, you can always take the extra off (leaving it in the bag with you if possible, so that you don't have to freeze your bottom off when you get up).

If it ends up being colder than you thought it would be, you can throw down some pine branches before you put your tent down. It will add extra insulation between your tent and the ground. If you do this, you definitely want something down beneath the tent so that sticks don't ruin it. Or if there isn't any pine, then piles of dead leaves are better than nothing.

Hikenhunter

Layering is good. Be sure your first layer is breathable and able to let moisture escape into the outer layers. Your sleeping system is most important. Buy the best you can afford, it will pay for itself in comfort and safety.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before but a common mistake is sleeping in your clothes. Always disrobe before climbing into the bag. You can wear pajamas if you wish, put a pad under your bag and put blankets on top of it. These will all provide additional warmth by helping to hold in your body's heat.

But the clothes you've been wearing are filled with moisture from perspiration and the atmosphere. They are your ticket to hypothermia. Take them off and hang them to dry during the night. Do the same thing with your bag in the morning or pajamas if you wear them. The key to staying warm is to stay dry.

shaun

I would recommend starting a fire. A fire will provide warmth and it will also scare away wild animals. A good quality sleeping bag is essential, apart from that I just wear lots of layers and thick clothing.

Lamebeaver

Unless you stay up all night attending your fire, it will serve neither purpose. If you're sleeping more than a few feed from the fire, or in a tent, the fire is pretty much useless, and if you practice good camping techniques, like not keeping food in your tent, you have nothing to fear from wild animals.

charley

An inexpensive ccf pad can be put under an uninsulated air matress to keep the cold away. A good base layer that includes hat, socks, and wristies helps too.