What's the Best Trail Horse?

DunandAway

We love to go places that allow us to horseback ride into a camp site. I admit, there are not a lot of places that will allow it anymore but we love doing it and a lot of our friends will allow us to use their land to camp. My question is this, what is the best horse for steep trail riding? I have a Buckskin Saddle horse but I know he is not the most sure footed animal on steep trails. Does anyone have any ideas?

NaturallyYours

Do you mean the best breed? I don't think there's necessarily any one answer to that. I've always ridden Quarter Horses and "mutt" horses with no trouble.

Even if your horse isn't the most surefooted, there's no reason you can't practice with him to raise his confidence. If the trail is dangerous, he shouldn't be on it in the first place - and neither should you. If it's not, just make sure he takes it slow until he's got it down. Does he spook easily? That's another big consideration.

Last edited:

Bumpkin

I'm a Quarter Horse person myself, but Tennessee Walkers are about the smoothest ride out there. Quarter Horses are a sturdier breed though. I have to agree with NaturallyYours and say that there is no definitive answer. It's a matter of preference and practice. Also, make sure he is properly shod for the trip.