When the weather turns bad....

Tomboy

When do you call things off and pack up to go home. We had a camping trip turn wet suddenly and unexpectedly(as Mr Weatherman had promised us plenty of sun those five days). Nothing real bad just drizzle and that misty rain. We were all set up as our first day's weather was great.

We bring soggy weather entertainment like cards and a few board games just in case, but by day 2 of the rain and chill, the kids were ready to pack it in. We stuck it out for one more night, but then we loaded up and went back home.

So at what point to you call the trip a wash and head back to home? Do you bring things to do if the weather isn't cooperating?

failghe

If it gets too bad we go shopping, catch a movie, or just drive around to find something to do.
I guess it depends on how long we are camping for, and how far away home is, determines when we pack up and head home. We try to stick it out for as long as we can. It is good for those stories, remember when....

HereToday

We are in the middle of camping country; we are also in the country where summer can disappear for weeks at a time. Those who know this must keep some money put by for hotel rooms because of the cold downpours that come without warning. It's a little sad to see folk shivering in the grocery store or movies because they brought no rain or cold weather gear. At least in the Pacific Northwest, you have to do your camping research, and have someplace else to go if summer disappears.

calanta

I can only think of one time (pre parents) that we ended up packing up and heading home. We had a double camp trip (myself/spouse and 2 others) and the others had gotten a new radio (wind up kind) and we heard about a nasty storms towards our way, lucky us we had just gotten there and nothing was unpacked yet.

justontime

If it gets too bad we go shopping, catch a movie, or just drive around to find something to do.
I guess it depends on how long we are camping for, and how far away home is, determines when we pack up and head home. We try to stick it out for as long as we can. It is good for those stories, remember when....
We do much the same sort of things, we keep clothes and bedding in the car, so that stays nice and dry. I think it would take torrential rain over several days before I would give up and go home, we have some good memories of bad weather days.

deltic

If it was very cold as well as wet I think we would give up after a couple of days, but we can usually cope with just cold or just wet.

2coastcamper

When do you call things off and pack up to go home. We had a camping trip turn wet suddenly and unexpectedly(as Mr Weatherman had promised us plenty of sun those five days). Nothing real bad just drizzle and that misty rain. We were all set up as our first day's weather was great.

We bring soggy weather entertainment like cards and a few board games just in case, but by day 2 of the rain and chill, the kids were ready to pack it in. We stuck it out for one more night, but then we loaded up and went back home.

So at what point to you call the trip a wash and head back to home? Do you bring things to do if the weather isn't cooperating?
I have one simple rule ... when it's just not fun. That's why we go out into the outdoors. To have fun. In your case, when your kids are ready to go, there's no reason to keep them out there. I think you made the right call!

justontime

I have one simple rule ... when it's just not fun. That's why we go out into the outdoors. To have fun. In your case, when your kids are ready to go, there's no reason to keep them out there. I think you made the right call!
Absolutely right! I must admit that we have had lots of fun when the weather has been bad, but I think you have to know your limits.