Where can you park Pop ups?

wildberry

Okay, I used to be a camping purist and only camped under the stars. Sometimes a tent, but not always. However, now that I am getting a little older I can see the benefits of having a camper. But, where do you park it? Can you only go to those crowded trailer parks?

Grady

I guess that would depend on whether or not you want to have hook ups. You could park it anywhere you are allowed to and if there is room, but if you want to be hooked up to electricity and water you'll need to be in a park that offers that.

I don't find all of those parks to be overly crowded. Some are, it's true. But some space their campsites out well enough that you can actually get a little privacy.

wildberry

Ah, that is true. I hadn't thought about the utilities thing. I will have to think about that part.

I will have to do some research to see what parks are available in the area where we are going. I would like to be in a less crowded park most of the time. Though I do see where it would be fun, at times, to have neighbors. People aren't all bad.

calanta

Somewhere spacious! :)

I used to love the popup we had at my uncles growing up, he stopped going camping when we were kids so he used to let us use it as a fort instead. I think its part of the reason I started to love camping so early. No one every bothered us as kids in there.

RoughRider

To answer your initial question:

Near the bathrooms:tinysmile_hmm_t:! LOL My son just bought a new one so he is going on a trip to Tennessee but I can't see my dear daughter in law doing anything in the outdoors. She's a city girl so she has NO skills at all in camping.

NorthCountry29RLS

Popup camping is great! State Parks & National Parks have great camping! RV Parks are the worst! Asphalt parking lots for Motorhomes isn't camping! I call that a Storage Unit! Look around, get online, check ut what's available in your area. You can load up the fresh water tank & go without electricity just like tent camping! Good luck!

Ms. Nibbles

There are a lot of nice National, State and County Parks that you can camp at with a pop up. We had one for a time and if it doesn't have a bathroom in it, it is nice to ask for a site near the bathroom. Some towns have city parks that have hookups and that are free.

CatsEye

Anywhere you can drive, if it's allowed, you can camp. That is if you don't mind dry docking. If you want the utilities on though, you have to go to a campground. We even have a "primitive" campground that will allow you to camp but there is no hookup for anything.

Denbert

I enjoy the Federal and the State campgrounds for the convenience of the electric and water hook ups, but sometimes they can get a bit crowded. My favorite times for these campgrounds is the weekend after a holiday weekend.

ComfortCamper

We prefer the KOA sites. Many in smaller towns are not Crowded and with KOA you always know what to expect and what you can rely on. We enjoy having the option of a "general store" and clean restroom/shower facilities which we've always found with KOA';s.

bross299

The wife an I use a very small TAOS popup..It has an A/C unit, but for the type of camping we do, in primitive 'not improved' areas it is useless since it requires a 30A 110V connection. We live near the Cherokee National Forrest and spend many weekends at either Big Creek trailhead or Forest Rd. 21 in Polk County TN. We have never had a problem setting it in any reasonable ' pullover'. Use your head and don't block a road or trail, and be courteous...You'll do fine and have fun!

rdowns

I love the KOA sites. Our family went to South Dakota and Colorado a few years ago and had good success using them on a nightly basis. There was only one site that I wouldn't go back to and that was only because it was a older facility and needed to be upgraded. The people were great. I have also stayed at primitive sites here in East Tennessee using everything from tents, pop-ups, and the 26' camper we use now. By and large (not always) the campers in the campgrounds are some of the best people you will ever meet.

Yogi

That's how we like to play it too. We have no children in school, so we have the flexibility to avoid going during peak times.