Where Do We Go From Where?

Barney

What is the meaning of life for you and do you think there is a higher purpose after this life on Earth? If there is a higher purpose then we have a role in it and it's not up to us to decide what that is. This is not a debate on religions guys, just a simple question about what fuel drives your engine.

CozInCowtown

The meaning of life??
You can't get there from here!
Greater purpose??
The answer to all these questions for me are found in the King James Version.
Fueling my drive??
Freemasonry.
JMO,
DC

ppine

Forester
I believe our purpose in life is to spread joy and love. Lead by example and hope others follow. Love is the meaning of life in all its forms- love of family, spouse, animals, plants, geology, etc. My religious beliefs revolve around Nature as the source of all Divinity.

There is absolutely no way to know if there is any afterlife at all. Humans have wanted to believe in it since the dawn of Man.

Dannytoo

I could answer your questions but it would spark a debate, I will say that there is a higher power and you do have a purpose, if called in this life.

JeepThrills

I believe that we are suppose to accomplish certain things while on earth. I am so far behind --- I will never die.

Seriously, I feel like we are suppose to learn something while we are here or we will keep repeating the same thing over and over again. If not in this life, then in the next.

Bojib

For some reason this reminds me of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books.

The "Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, to Everything" we find out is 42.

However, we never discover what the question is.

Judy Ann

My faith plays heavily (100%) in my response so since you do not want religion to enter into the discussion I cannot offer any answers... except to say that Frost's poem "The Road Less Traveled" is meaningful. Where two roads diverge and we make our decision to travel down one path over the other, there are always consequences.

In backpacking or hiking: My goal might be to hike from one shelter to another, however if I see a foal or a small herd I will probably go off trail for a while or an hour, or the rest of the day until I need to set up camp. I am positive that there are prayers of thanks along the way (I always feel closer to God when on mountains) and if no one is around...probably a song/hymn or two or many. I could get lost, the old dog get hurt, I might have a heart attack, but the adventure would always be memorable. Is it destiny that I might take the path less traveled? It is what it is.

Grandpa

(I always feel closer to God when on mountains) and if no one is around...probably a song/hymn or two or many. .
That is my way too. So when they sent the sheep dogs to try and herd me back into the flock, they didn't have much luck. My good friend and neighbor was really trying to get me to go to church so I made him a deal. I told him if he would go to my church, I would go to his. (Please don't think I am inferring that God's church belongs to either one of us. I use those words only in a temporal sense.)

So, he and his son and several of my clingons took a multi-day backpack into the Frank Church Wilderness. He was converted.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t But paybacks have to be made so I went to church with him down town. Now I'm not going into some proselyting tirade here, but it really felt good and right to be in that building. It felt so good that we have been going every Sunday that we can and the neighbor has been going to the mountains every chance he can. I call that a win win deal:tinysmile_twink_t2: