Who introduced you to camping?

WillaMarie

Was it a friend? Discover it on your own? Or maybe you can remember always camping with your parents? This was something I did really start doing until we had kids of our own. We just decided to give it a try and liked it. :) The rest is history.

Lamebeaver

I grew up on a dairy farm, so we didn't do ANY overnight trips.

I taught myself, and a lot of the lessons were from the school of hard knocks.

Fortunately, God protects fools and small children.

KatieMarie

I never did much camping growing up so it was mostly after I got married. Hubby wasn't really into it either but we gave it a try one time and liked it. We don't go as often as we would like but enjoy it when we do. :)

ejdixon

I started camping when I was a kid with my dad, but it was only when I was in college and my roommate (whose now one of my best friends) invited me to go camping with a few others. I guess the fact that I pretty much did what I wanted to do more made it a whole lot more appealing to me rather than following some itinerary that my dad wanted to do, but I not necessarily wanted to.

firedancer

Every year my family (extended with aunts, uncles and cousins) would caravan to either the Black Hills or Colorado - we would camp in Nebraska on the way out and on the way back. Nothing fancy and it was really just because my uncle couldn't afford to put us all up in a hotel. My best friend's parents also had an RV so we camped with them a lot and we usually had to sleep outside in a tent, which later made it easy to "sneak out" and meet the townies. :)

I probably didn't camp at all during my 20's but am glad I've come to enjoy it again.

ppine

Forester
My Dad had us camping as infants. I remember camping in Yellowstone in 1955 and watching the big shadows of bears against the canvas all night long. Dad took out his 38 cal revolver and we followed the tracks the next morning. In retrospect, it was the day I knew I wanted to have a career in the outdoors.

We started backpacking without adults at age 12. We spent a week on an island in Cheasapeake Bay when we were 12, and then again a year later.

My great grandfather used to take the whole family in wagons up to MT. St. Helens for 2 weeks every summer and climb the peak. He lost his leg in a mining accident, and used a wooden prosthetic.

Last edited:

outwest

Anyone have one of those crazy uncles who would do anything for a laugh? We had one of those and I think he was the first person to get most of us into the outdoors. It could be camping, hiking or fishing - he just loved being outside and not cooped up.

Lucy

I grew up in Chicago and got involved with Camp Fire Girls as a child. Now I live in the boonies and go camping every chance I get!

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
We car camped as kids, mostly at Myrtle beach state park. That would be our summer vacation, a week at the beach in a tent in June can be a trying time on kids and parents. We slept in sleeping bags on our beach rafts. I remember waking one night floating due to tenting in a low spot during a thunderstorm. We stayed at the Disney campground several times too.
Never did any woods camping until I was alone. Always wanted to leave the car though...
Going to backpack in the spring.

Gabbie

I didn't do much camping when I was growing up but when I did I really liked it. Got back into it when the kids got a little older and showed some interest. So now we try to go when we can. It's nice to just get away for a couple days.