Your Take on Trekking Poles?

Woods

What is your take on trekking poles? Some people use them, some don't and I feel they both have good explanations for what they do. What's yours?

bsmit212

I dont backpack without mine. I feel a noticable difference when I started using mine. However I know several people who hate using them. A good way to try it out is wal-mart has a set you can get for about $25 for the pair. These wont last you very long but it will atleast let you try them out and see what you think and if you like them, then you can spend the money on a good pair that will last.

2Tired4

I don't use them because I have stronger legs than usual individual for my size and I don't need weight transferred away from my knees. So, no poles in my opinion.

oldsarge

I'd say that Polish folks like to get out and hike around just like anyone!

Really, I like them, they help take some of the stress of my knees and lower back. Plus I like tha added support in rough terrain. Not like climbing a mountain, but rocky or uneven stuff where it's easy to loose you footing. Mostly I got with one pole though since its modified to hold my GPS.

Lamebeaver

I always carry one. Very handy for tricky slopes, ice and also for protection.

When backpacking, I carry two. Makes a big difference.

Grandpa

I carry two trekking poles backpacking. I say carry because most of the time thats what I do. I like my hands free, and like 2tired, have strong heavy legs that support and balance me quite well. But I still take the poles for stream crossings, rough going and non trekking functions. Most people will benefit greatly using them, but not all of us.

ppine

Forester
When I was young I scoffed at them. Now they help unweight the joints in the legs, and help with balance when top-heavy on rough ground at aged 61.

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
I always use poles. I have knee issues from years of skiing and the poles help a lot on long days. I don't really need them for short days. They are very helpful when going down steep hills though and there's not much better for water crossings. My poles have saved me quite a few falls over the years.

briansnat

Platnium Member
I started using poles while showshoeing. That experience caused me to start using them when hiking in the snow. One year when the snow finally melted I just kept using them. These days I rarely hike or backpack without them. The few times I do I feel strange.

They are great on steep downhills and help keep some pressure off of the knees and very useful when crossing streams.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

I'm not one for high-priced or "fancy" gear. I use a set of white Army surplus ski poles that are just the right height for me. The tapered aluminum can also be shortened for better carry, if needed.

They are great for balance, and for taking a little of the load off the legs and spine. Wish I had them with me the last time I had to wade in the Deleware River (guide got his boat stuck in shallow water). Boy, I've never before encountered such a slippery river bottom...!!

I suppose they could also be used as a weapon, too.

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
Reinhold Messner used trekking poles and he is renowned for making the first solo ascent of Mount Everest without supplemental oxygen. There are not many in this world who are even near being in his class and he used trekking poles.

If I am off pavement I have my poles with me in my hands unless I am scrambling. They take me further and faster as well as safer over rocky, hilly terrain, mountain trails and canyon country. Around camp or lengthy rest stops in hot sunny weather I use them to make a shade shelter with my tarp, a bit of line and some MSR Groundhog stakes I keep in my pack. They probe the rocky, plant covered terrain in front of me for sign of snakes. I can vault over small creeks or from rock to rock.

They do take a while to get the rhythm and the hang of them but after many years both girlfriend and I use them on every kind of terrain.

I don’t think there is any doubt that they will benefit even strong hikers but preference is another thing. Some people don’t want anything in their hands no matter what the benefit may be. Some terrain, at least, calls for them to go on the side the pack, out of the way.

firedancer

90% of the time, I bring mine and don't use them. The other 10%, I leave them in the car and wish I had them! I generally take a lot of pictures when hiking, so that makes poles inconvenient, but when I'm hiking downhill the poles really help, especially with my torn ACL.

Lorax

I'll use them when the trail is still icy or muddy, or when I have a heavy load. I hardly ever use them in summer. On uphills, it's like having 4WD, on steep downhills and mountain descents, it's great to prevent that knee pounding.

ejdixon

I've been using a pair ever they've been really helpful for me especially when it comes to those really steep uphill parts.

savvyninja

I remember I used to scoff at them whenever I'd see other hikers using them. But then I found myself on a six day hike to and from Mt. Roraima in Venezuela. I descended the mountain to fast on the fifth day. On the sixth day my fellow hikers and myself still had a ten mile hike through hilly savannah to get back to civilization. Well, about five miles into the otherwise easy hike home my knees started getting hot, real hot, and I could barely move without wincing. A Spanish hiker who was part of my group lent me his poles because it was obvious I needed some help. They helped immensely and I barely got back. I was the last person in fact to make it back. Now, I use them on every hiking trip and I've made them an essential part of my camping equipment.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I use a hiking stick. It's a five foot piece of hickory, two inches thick. It's varnished but not smooth. Wood burned in the side are the words "ugly stick". It's a quarter staff and I've never needed anything else.

CaliRockJumper

I use a hiking stick. It's a five foot piece of hickory, two inches thick. It's varnished but not smooth. Wood burned in the side are the words "ugly stick". It's a quarter staff and I've never needed anything else.
awesome!

i do the same, just one good stick that ive had for years. it sounds very similar to yours. it sure makes things a lot easier in the high country.

IndianaHiker

Wont leave home without them. Just did a trip with many creek crossing, steep up and down hills, and what I would call a goat trail up the side of a mountain as a night hike. The trail in many places was only wide enough for one foot to be on the ground at a time. Couldn't imagine making up there with out the poles for balance.

wvbreamfisherman

A friend of mine gave me a telescoping aluminum one, and I balked a little at using it, but once I gave it a decent try, I found that I really liked it. It helps me keep balanced and is a great help on steep descents on rocky ground.

I haven't tried using a pair of them yet, but I will later in the year. I suspect I will enjoy that as well. I'll be 57 in April, and no joint troubles (yet) but if I can head off potential problems by carrying a couple of sticks, than by Golly I'll carry sticks!

ponderosa

I thought they were gimicky and never used them until about five years ago. I decided to use them for an extra margin of safety when I was carrying my toddler on my back, while several months pregnant with the next kid. I was amazed at the difference they made. My gimpy knee felt loads better, I had better endurance and could hike further and faster, along with the expected benefit of better balance on stream crossings, snow fields, and other tricky places. I use them all the time now, except for flat trails on dayhikes with a light load (rarely happens, since I'm usually carrying one of my kids).