A small hiking tip

amine

When i was hiking for the first time, i was a newbie without the knowledge of the rules and the basics of hiking. So waht should one know before hiking? What to have?
Here is a small tip for that,
Start early, go fast and pack light.
Hope it helps someone.

Reeses

I don't know about the walk fast part lol But definitely the other two. Due to you not being in the best of shape you need to bring lots of water since your body's going to be in overdrive and craving it. Stretch before you hike. I have prevented many sore days just by stretching for one minute before I hike. Last but not least enjoy yourself and don't bring your work with you

bagwell

Hmm for first timers...Hiking is to enjoy the walking and I would ask you to walk slowly and enjoy the beauty of nature....The main things to take for an hiking will be torch lights if you are going on a night trekking, Medical kit, lots of water, quick food, a good company :) and have a safe walk and njoy the fun of it

winner

Is that the tips which you are talking about.Hey for first timer the joy of hiking is enjoying the beauty of the place.If i walk fast the whats the purpose of going for hiking.I think i will not follow your tips.I would rather enjoy the beauty of the place by walking slowly.(in day time)

Thank you for your tips anyway

trek

When i was hiking for the first time, i was a newbie without the knowledge of the rules and the basics of hiking. So waht should one know before hiking? What to have?
Here is a small tip for that,
Start early, go fast and pack light.
Hope it helps someone.
the above information which you have provide is not tips.What does this line is meant for "Start early, go fast and pack light".The only thing which i can accept is the pack light part.Other things are not even considering.What winner has said is true

paaro

I think start early is the best option I will give to everyone, but I am not sure whether go fast in the trekking or not since it will have a danger quote in it, there are some steep hills in some part of trekking and in that area I don't think it is trhe best option to go fast. By going slowly on the hills can save your energy and it will also save the amount of water with, as you walk slow you will not require to drink water inthe reglar intervals.

HereToday

My best advice

I always try to carry my camera (digital) with extra batteries. You see such amazing things out in the rough, that's part of the reason to go there and when you see something really awesome a picture is worth a thousand words :tinysmile_twink_t2:

pavan

You don't have to be a wilderness survival expert to go off tramping in the woods, but a person needs to have a sound grounding in the basics of the outdoors. It's the hiker's or backpacker's responsibility to obtain the necessary knowledge, preparation and equipment to ensure a safe hike. Joining a group or club can be a great way to get some of the knowledge and training.

sunny

I think he was trying to tell us something and you people just offend him. You people just shut up and listen or dont tell anything you dont contribute anything and what the hell??

Jobiwan

Know the area your hiking.
Bring plenty of water & snacks.
Duct tape. You would be surprised how handy it is.
...and never enter the woods without toilet paper. Never.

J Hedge

Flashlights at night blind others, frighten wildlife. If must, aim at ground, use sparingly, allow eyes to adjust. Don't pick wild flowers & alert others & their kids not to, also.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I think he was trying to tell us something and you people just offend him. You people just shut up and listen or dont tell anything you dont contribute anything and what the hell??
Sunny, I like you already. The simple fact that you are totally willing to give us your opinion without regard for your personal safety on this site as being a troublemaker, a miscreant, or someone who should be chastised and sent packing, is a blessing. Too long have I sat back and thought the people on this site have no soul. I want someone who will bite back. I like it when a person stands his ground.

God bless ya. I'm getting a little tired of these milquetoasts, unwilling to assert themselves.

P.S. From my experienxe, MICHAEL, Northernbushape, and a few others are not in this number of wussies.

Last edited:

oldsarge

Amine/For a beginner I would suggest looking into the safety of hiking. Cody Lundin has a book called "98,6 degrees, how to keep your ass alive" . It covers the importance of proper planning before going out and some tips on survival if you become lost or hurt. It some of the most practical info for hikers. Every one has their own outlook on what's important. Some are into all about preserving nature and not leaving any sign you've been there. There's tons of books about every aspect of hiking. I think all point made in this thread so far are well directed and helpful.

I've had hikes where I set a quick pace. Sometimes I enjoy the workout of having a little extra weight in the pack and just going for it. Maybe all those years in the Infantry developed habits that are hard to break. When Geocaching I normally move at a pretty good clip from cache to cache. But if I'm out just hiking around, I will take my time and enjoy the solitude of being alone out there.

Last edited:

IndianaHiker

To prevent blister got boots or shoes that fit correctly and are made for the activity that you are doing. Also get rid of the Cotton socks and go with wool. Best to invest the 12 to 17 a pair and get socks that are made of hiking or trekking. I often do 3 to 4 days out and only put on fresh socks at bedtime. This is done to keep my feet warmer. The socks that you wear all day will not be as warm as a clean pair as wool like other materials uses loft to create warmth. Wearing them all day compresses the loft. I then use the old dirty sock to hike the next day in. Only time that I change sock is of I get my feet wet and don't want to take the time to dry the socks that I was wearing.

The reason that I say get rid of the cotton socks is they create more friction where your foot rubs the socks. This is multiplied greatly if they get wet. Cotton will not dry quickly and is a horrible material for outdoor use in my opinion.

Just my 2 cents on Blisters never had a problem with them as long as the foot of the boot was good and wearing Smart Wool Socks. I have even take a brand new out of the box pair of boots on a 3 day 14 miles a day trip with now problems.

Jerry2

Take your time and enjoy the hike, some of the most beautiful scenes in nature are the ones that you have to hike to. One more reason to slow down is that most trails have hazards such as cliffs and venomous snakes that you should watch out for.

Rider One

I would never advise going hiking without knowing the basics. That's a dangerous thing to do. I hope everyone makes sure they understand the hiking laws of the land before setting out on their own.