Solar Stoves

Frederico

I've just bought my first solar stove (parabolic) for camping. It is a bit bulky - but I am happy to be using something so environmentally positive - ie: completely pollution-free cooking.

Any experience of these ?

Joe S.

I do not, but I first heard about them for use by people in places where firewood is scarce. They were being distributed so people would not de-nude the landscape.

Betty

I have not heard of these before this. What an excellent idea! So mankind discovered fire a bazillion years ago, and we're just thinking up the solar stove now?? Amazing.

Frederico

Well - I used my solar stove for the first time this week, it wasn't particularly sunny but their was a lot of bright UV light and the stove worked - also, it was quicker than I thought it would be.

ChadTower

I have not heard of these before this. What an excellent idea! So mankind discovered fire a bazillion years ago, and we're just thinking up the solar stove now?? Amazing.

Heh, no, people have been using reflection to heat things for thousands of years. Hell there is evidence the ancient Greeks tried to use it as a weapon for setting ships on fire.

Hayley

I'm glad you gave us a followup to let us know how it worked for you. We don't have one yet, but we have seen them and considered buying one. Maybe in the spring we'll check it out.