Hunting Bears

Hannah

My uncle was hunting this afternoon and found a huge bear in his usual hunting spot. He figures once hunting season opens up he will shoot it for winter's meat.

sboren

Hopefully he has the knowledge before hand to kill a bear. Somewhat different than deer in regards to vitals. And when you wound a bear many times it will come to find who hurt it.

Hannah

He has been hunting for a number of years, he hunts all game so bears aren't new to him. I am not a big fan of bear meat, I find it far too greasy and fatty for my tastes.

hunter44mag

Black bear meat is great, better than deer to me. It does require a little work to prepare. You have remove all fat before cooking.

Benny

Good thing he found the bear and not the other way around! But he doesn't seem to be too afraid of it. Still, if there are bears around, he should keep that gun with him at all times!

BTBoop

I didn't know people actually eat bear meat. I know that there are a lot of different things people hunt to eat but had no clue about bears.

Bud

I don't think bear meat would be for me. My rule is that if I don't intend to eat it, then I don't intend to hunt for it either.

YogiBear

I have freinds that use their bows for bear, so I see no reason that a crossbow not work, just be sure of your shot placement, and good luck
I have to agree, I wouldn't want to shoot a bear with a crossbow if I wasn't absolutely sure I was gonna kill it with the first shot.

BCBabe

The bullet from a 30.06 will BOUNCE off of the skull of a grizzly, causing a grazing injury that makes the bear seriously angry. Until you see it first-hand, it's hard to believe, but it's true.

If you can't be 110% sure of the shot, I wouldn't risk my life like that. The local natives used heart- and neck-shots only (through the throat).

greensteelforge

Use enough gun. It's foolish to use anything you can't rely on to quickly kill when you're hunting potentially dangerous animals. Bows and crossbows fall into the category of foolish for me. I wouldn't use anything short of a rifle capable of fully penetrating the animal at any angle, including head on. It also needs to be capable of depositing enough kinetic energy through hydrostatic shock to disable and kill the animal before it can react. Bears are the closest ting we have in north america to dangerous game, and shouldn't be confused with the likes of deer when choosing gear. Twelve-bore slugs work well if you get REALLY close. If in doubt, ask a professional hunting guide what they prefer.

Grandpa

A bear can close extremely fast and that big thick skull is leading the way. An arrow kills by bleeding the animal out. It may kill the bear with one shot, but he still has a lot of living to do before he dies. Way too risky for me. yep, cluck cluck

Grandpa

Grease is essential for long term diet. Bear is loaded with it. So it was essential for the old homesteaders, ranchers and mountain men to get a bear every fall. Similar to pork, but not as good as cougar.