Insects For Dinner

HappyFeet

Bugs are all around and many of them are edible. Have you tried eating them for dinner? Let us say that you don't have any food left and you need to stay there for a couple more days, are you willing to eat the insects found nearby?

javen

I've seen campers eating insects like cockroaches, ladybugs, praying mantis and others when they ran out of food rations. I don't eat exotic foods but I will have to try eating insects in order to survive.

Pebbles

Ok, about to reveal the city girl in me, but....No Way!:tinysmile_shutup_t2 If we ran out of food, it would be time to pack up and head to the nearest food eatery. No bugs.

It would have to absolutely be life or death to even consider. Can't we find some berries?

Adventurelover

You know that is a hard question. Sitting here in my home with my fridge full I would say a big NO! If you were to put me somewhere where I would starve otherwise I am not sure what I would do.

Alexis

I feel the same as Pebbles and Adventurelover. In a true matter of survival, there's no telling what lengths I would be willing to go to in order to stay alive. But I would NEVER eat a bug just for the heck of it.

Smokey

I've seen shows like Bizarre Foods and Man vs. Wild where the hosts have eaten bugs. I'm pretty adventurous when it comes to food but I'd have to be starving to eat bugs.

HappyFeet

Honestly, I have created this topic based on Man vs Wild show. Bear said that bugs have more proteins than meat if the proteins are measured by pounds. I am already convinced not to eat them by the looks of Bear when he eats the bugs. Bug stinks and I can't eat food that stinks.

About the berries. I'm not too sure if I would eat wild berries instead of insects because they might be poisonous to eat.

Camoguy

If it were a matter of my survival, yes I would. If you are talking about experimenting-NO WAY! I'm not much of an insect guy anyway so I'm not about to eat bugs unless I have to.

ATVfan

:tinysmile_cry_t: Nope! If I had to eat something like that to stay alive, then I would. I'm not doing it just because they are around me though! Forget about it!

We always pack way too much food.

campclose

I'm with ATV fan- no way never! I don't even know if I could if we had no food. I'd pack up and go if I could. I'd eat mud first! The thought of insects in my mouth totally grosses me out!

HappyFeet

Speaking of mud, you reminded me of mud cakes. How are they made? Is it really a mud or they only use mud to cook the bread?

About insects, there are some countries where insects are delicacies. Are you willing to taste the food made of insect when you visit that country?

oldsarge

When your belly is growling and you know there's nothing else, you will eat most anything. I have eaten quite a few different bugs, raw and cooked. My favorite raw item was a large grub from Brazil, it taste just like coconut. Once you got past the texture it was great. I never tasted any other raw insect that I liked. As far as cooking them, grasshoppers were good, I broke them down a little further and ate them that way. again really good!

YogiBear

OldSarge, the military will train some of the men and women to eat bugs if they don't have anything else, or is this just another wives tale that people have told me?

oldsarge

OldSarge, the military will train some of the men and women to eat bugs if they don't have anything else, or is this just another wives tale that people have told me?
Any instruction I received was done at some type of SERE training (survival, evasion, resistance & escape). The school isn't available to everyone in the Army, just folks who may find themselves in that type of situation. What I'm saying is that the course is not mandatory. I speak mainly of the Army because that's who I served with. You may have heard stories from guys in basic training or other combat arms related schools taking about eating bugs, I don't think it was part of their training as much as something that came up as one of those hardcore infantry moments.

Last edited:

BTBoop

I have heard this too. I think someone told me it was the marines that had to go through some of this training and I remember them mentioning SERE.