Offended

Geordie

So a bunch of us were talking about heading out into the 'tulies later this year, and laughing about the where and what-to-do of things.

Someone piped up with skeet shooting, and I almost turned him into a target. If you aren't on a designated range, don't do it.

Someone like me will come along and make you eat the casings and clay pigeon remains you've left behind.

outdoorsy

Oh no, they were going to make a mess and leave it? That just stinks! There are places for this and if it is not a designated place like you said then you should not be doing it. I can't imagine if a wild animal went and ate some of the clay pigeons - it wold certainly hurt them.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Yeah. The average wild animal eating clay would definitely cause a problem. Although I would figure that any animal that would eat clay would have to be the dumbest animal on the planet.

dhoyle

Tha woulde wild pigs, there is a warning on the clay boxe to keep them away from pigs. Take it for what it's worth.

BTBoop

After seeing a show on TV the other night I think it was called "Hog Wild" the way these wild pigs are destructive and dangerous I say feed them as much clay as you can unless you want to eat them.

ChadTower

I would think the danger on doing that outside of a controlled environment is that you can't see what's on the other side of that clearing. Don't shoot if you don't know what is beyond the trees.

Aria

@Chad, usually we shoot the skeet up in the air not toward the edge of the trees. We had a great experience with this once. We were at the back of the farm we were living on, with permission and between three of us we went through about two or three cases before we called a time out for the kids to go looking for the pieces and the whole ones we may have missed so that we didn't waste any. Well they went out into that clearing and didn't 4 deer jump out that had been lying there the whole time we were shooting. We weren't sure who was more surprised the kids, us or the deer. It was funny.

Qweetzy

I've been taught all of my life if you go into the wild for any reason, make sure you leave nothing but footprints behind. We don't have problems around my place with clay pigeons but we do have some dorks that love to take various illegal fireworks out to the boat dock and set them off. I hate when I go to fish and find all the crap floating around the dock.

Hannah

I hate that people are so ignorant and just think the environment will clean up itself. It is this ignorant attitude that has caused the environment to be in the state it is in.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Don't worry, Hannah. The first rain will degrade the clay and wash it away. It's clay. Clay will blend with soil and help it hold moisture.

Geordie

Don't worry, Hannah. The first rain will degrade the clay and wash it away. It's clay. Clay will blend with soil and help it hold moisture.
If they left ONLY the clay bits, I may not have gotten so irritated.

I'm betting I can I.D. every site they've "practiced" at, for the shell casings on the ground: they never clean up completely, it seems, and there's always evidence of what they've been doing.

Even one shell casing left behind is one too many.

greensteelforge

Clay pigeons used to be made with petroleum byproducts, but generally aren't any more. As well, there are targets available that break down in the rain, and don't pose a toxic risk to wildlife. These targets cost a little more, and are a little more prone to breaking in the thrower, but still cheap. I usually shoot clays in open farm fields (with permission, of course). My guests and I always police our casings, and pick up our re-usable targets. I avoid trap clubs because the fees and membership costs put it out of my budget, and I live close to plenty of people with places for me to shoot. Those of you who seem to believe trap shooting to be an ecological crime should consider that almost any outdoor activity can be a source of litter and pollution if the participants are careless. Likewise, most outdoor activities can be done in an ecologically sound manner if we are mindful, careful, and willing to accept the cost of non-toxic, biodegradable materials. As for concerns about impact-area; shotguns are conventionally used in a manner that precludes the shooter from knowing exactly where the shot-charge will land. This is acceptable because most birdshot does not retain enough energy at even moderate ranges to do meaningful damage.

ChadTower

I'm not sure shell casings would be much of a pollutant on a farm field anyway. You'd probably pollute yourself with the pesticides on it when picking it up. :)