Survival Experiences

Telna

Have you ever had to struggle to survive in the wilderness? Were you prepared? How has this affected the way you prepare for heading out into the wilderness now?

oldmangunner

I can not say that I have had some of the other experiences that others have had. I did take part in a search for a missing hiker, it was hard but I knew not as bad as it was for the hiker. Luckily they did find him. He is alive thanks to knowing some survival skills.

southerngal

I have never been in a situation where I didn't have at least some of the things I needed to get by. I hope that I have learned enough skills that if I were to find myself in that kind of situation I would be prepared.

Grandpa

Two 16 yr old kids, deep in an Idaho wilderness elk hunting. We had left our camp about 3 am and hiked 4 miles to a pass we had intended to watch. A severe cold front moved in with temps dropping from 80 degrees the day before to 0 degrees by mid afternoon the next day, leaving 2 feet of snow where we were. Eleven hunters died in that storm. But us two kids were too dumb to know we were in trouble. We just knew the elk hunt was over and dug in to wait the storm out. We made it back to camp after the snow quit none the worse for wear. I guess our Dad's had trained us well.

Forester

Grandpa, that was quite an experience. I'm not sure if I can consider any of my experiences as survival but I have been to a couple of camping/bivouac where they just threw us out in the jungle to hunt for food. I just don't know if I can manage to do it in a real-life situation, though.

oldsarge

Grandpa, that was quite an experience. I'm not sure if I can consider any of my experiences as survival but I have been to a couple of camping/bivouac where they just threw us out in the jungle to hunt for food. I just don't know if I can manage to do it in a real-life situation, though.
Sounds like a fun time to me Forester!

safn1949

On the way home from work I run into my friend,he had shot a deer and it took off running so us 2 retards.....me in my work clothes with a light coat and no hat....him about the same,set off in 40 F weather to find the deer,after all it only went a few hundred yards,right?

We got lost and walked for miles,well after dark with the temp now in the low 30's.I told him at one point we had to keep moving or we were going to die out there.About 4 hours later we heard a dog barking and found a house......right on the edge of hypothermia.

We had no matches,warm clothes,waterproof boots or even hats and gloves so waiting to be found was gonna kill us.What a pair of idiots......but we made it,barely.I don't recommended this to anyone.

ryoga-kun

On the way home from work I run into my friend,he had shot a deer and it took off running so us 2 retards.....me in my work clothes with a light coat and no hat....him about the same,set off in 40 F weather to find the deer,after all it only went a few hundred yards,right?

We got lost and walked for miles,well after dark with the temp now in the low 30's.I told him at one point we had to keep moving or we were going to die out there.About 4 hours later we heard a dog barking and found a house......right on the edge of hypothermia.

We had no matches,warm clothes,waterproof boots or even hats and gloves so waiting to be found was gonna kill us.What a pair of idiots......but we made it,barely.I don't recommended this to anyone.
Like I said, poor planning. lol

wvbreamfisherman

Had to spend the night out on a mountain top once (when I was 18). My buddy and I were spring turkey hunting and walked wayyyy too far. We couldn't get back to camp before it got dark so we decided to stop and build a fire and a shelter before it got totally black.

We had matches, a bag of hard candy and a a stainless steel canteen with a canteen cup.

We built a fire and a lean-to, and piled up a bunch of spruce branches to get us off the ground. We did fine, even though it snowed that night (it was about 55 when we started out). Stayed up all night feeding the fire, eating butter scotch candies and drinking hot water. We walked the rest of the way out after sunup.

Definitely poor planning on our part (couple young and dumb kids), but it taught me a lot!

Cheap lesson really.

BritishInvasion

Once went for a hike with a good friend, a not too experienced hiker/camper. Found a steep rock wall and decided it would be fun to climb it (also, dumb and young). I made it up fine, but as I looked back I saw my friend had lost his footing and was hanging onto a root sticking out of the rocks. Needless to say, he lost his grip and broke his leg. I climbed back down and made a makeshift "cast" (two long sticks on either side of his leg, tied with some peeled bark) and walked him back. Luckily it wasn't a bad break, otherwise we may have been in a bit more trouble.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Ryoga-kun, no amount of planning will ever replace dumb luck. Unfortunately, there are two types of luck. No one plans on a plane going down or a well maintained vehicle dying. And, although meteorology is a science, it's not that precise. Sometimes Mother Nature plays cruel jokes.

One's best bet is to plan for the worst.