Head Lamp

ryoga-kun

Never forget the head lamp!
People sometimes ask about what kind of flash light to have and although I have some hand held ones, I always make sure that a head lamp is also on my packing list.
I use a cheap variety.

Michael

I have a sort of cheap Coleman headlamp. It's a plain two settings white light that does the trick for me. It's got pretty good battery life, too.

Sure, it doesn't have the super long range of some of the more expensive models. Then again I use it in the woods most of the time, and it shines as far as you can see without trees and brush being the obstacle to sight.

Most of the time I stick to a 1 AA River Rock LED flashlight. The battery lasts bloody forever and has had the crap kicked out of it and kept coming back for more. It's plenty bright for situations where you dropped your keys at night or the lights went out and you need to find candles.

Hyde

I used to have a head lamp, I loaned it out and I never got it back. I think that one is a lost cause now. I am going to have to replace it before I do any night hiking.

perchbutt

perchbutt
Head lamps are about the handiest thing since tp. Great for loading up the canoe or cooking at the camp site, plus they make the after dark hikes much easier. I favor ones w/ three settings- regular, bright and red.

wvbreamfisherman

I have a cheap headlamp I got at Lowes with $10 coupon (it cost $11). Don't recall what brand it is, but it has white LED's with a narrow and wide setting and red LED's for preserving night vision. I use the heck out of it, and have yet to replace a battery.

Red_Dog

Elev 2,180'
I get the Energizers from Wal-Mart. $10 and last for years. And if it breaks, I can easily afford another.
Yeah, that is my lamp of choice.
Best for solo camping as the glare annoys others
"GO TO RED" I am often told

Works well under the kitchen sink while fixing that leak too

Oh...I get mine at Target

ChadTower

Does red really disturb the people around you less? I did a little reading on the military theories on red vs white lights for distant detection but have never tried one in a camping situation.

P

processed in everything

Now I'm want to buy a new Xeccon headlamp, which one is better, could someone give me some suggestions?
Thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamebeaver

The idea with red is that it won't destroy your night vision.

Mine has two red LEDs, one white LED and a krypton spotlight. I got it at K-Mart and it's the only place I've seen them. The spot runs down the battery much faster, but it comes in handy when you need to see more than a few feet briefly.

ChadTower

The idea with red is that it won't destroy your night vision.

Mine has two red LEDs, one white LED and a krypton spotlight. I got it at K-Mart and it's the only place I've seen them. The spot runs down the battery much faster, but it comes in handy when you need to see more than a few feet briefly.

Yeah. The military aspect is that red is supposedly easier for night vision to spot from a distance and for automated targeting systems to acquire. That's what I've read, anyway. Obviously not an issue for us. I have a whole bunch of white LED headlamps but if I see a reasonable one with red I might pick it up to check it out.

Of course, sailors have had this issue for centuries, and that's why pirates wore eyepatches. So there is that option too. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

rockytibby

I have one with three settings low, bright and red. I love it especially when I go spelunking. I cant live without my headlamp, I use it all the time. In camp, night hiking,caving, at home trying to get a splinter out of my finger, reading at night, the uses are endless. I use to have to do my running at night and it worked out great.