Budget tactical rifle

rodney482

Remington 700 sps tactical .308
Nikon Monarch 4-16X40 mildot w/side focus and low profile turrets
Burris xtreme tactical bases and rings-
Caldwell bipod

Goal is a budget gun, with some quality without spending several paychecks.

safn1949

My advice is to look at all of the brands,I found that some simply didn't fit me.Don't buy on brand only,make sure the rifle is comfortable.Also a 4x16 is way too much scope for a .308,a fixed 8 or 10 is plenty.

600 yards is about the longest shot you will be making,anything longer and you really need some more horsepower as in .300 win mag or 7mm mag.

I used to target shoot with a Winchester model 70 varminter,bedded by me with a fixed 8 power Leopold.5" group at 500 and 6" group at 600 from a $400 rifle and $200 scope,with my own reloads.The rifle would do better,but I was at my limit.

Many will disagree as is their right.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Grandpa

I used to target shoot with a Winchester model 70 varminter,bedded by me with a fixed 8 power Leopold.5" group at 500 and 6" group at 600 from a $400 rifle and $200 scope,with my own reloads.The rifle would do better,but I was at my limit.
Thats mighty tight in my book. Good shooting

My hunting rifles will have to do if I ever get in a tactical situation.

oldsarge

Since we're talking "tactical" here, I'm assuming man size targets, center mass torso shots, correct? If I were looking into a hunting rifle, I would agree with safn1949, 600 yards would be about right. But on the other hand, 7.62 or 308 will reach out and touch someone at 1000 meters. A man getting tagged with that will be in world of hurt. I'm basing my statement on experience with an accurized M14 with a 3-9 auto ranging scope, also know as the M21 system. You can get a national match M1A from Springfield Armory that will perform up to those standards. I'm not entirely familiar with the Remington 700 in 308, but I feel that it will surely exceed 600 yards on a man size target. Especially if you're loading your own ammo. As far as a scope goes, tactically speaking, I'd prefer a variable power to fixed. It comes in handy when scanning for targets. What ever you come up with, you're going to spend some time dialing this all in to achieve max results. After all, you want first round hits at max range. What exactly are you referring to when you say "tactical" Rodney482? Just curious, trying to get a better picture.

Grandpa

Nothing like the free enterprise system to make a buck. If you want to get good at long range talk to Mark Thompson.

Thompson Long Range - Long Range Rifle Shooting and Long Range Shooting Course - Hunting DVD

A co-worker bought one of these set-ups. He swears by it. The training is to 1000 yards with a bench but when the competition shooting starts the targets move out to 1600 yards free hand, any position. I figure if I can't get closer than 1000 yards to a buck or bull, it's time to quit hunting.

safn1949

I agree you can hit the target at more then 600 yards with a .308 but the bullet is running out of juice fast beyond that. I would rather do a .300 or .338 mag at 800+. I'm just buying insurance that what gets hit,stays hit.

CozInCowtown

Wal Mart.
Those little Remingtons with the scope allready mounted for $400.
Bring it by the shop and I will do another $150-$200 worth of work and it will shoot with the best of them.
I did one several months ago for a guy I know and it is now a very strong shooter.
Lapp the barrel, tweeked the headspace, triggerjob and bed, float & fill the stock.
I wanted to replace the scope mounts with Leopolds but he said no, extra $60 worth of work..
4 out of 5 touching at 100 yards over the hood of my pickup.
DC

Last edited:

southerngal

Hubby has been looking for a tactical rifle as well. Having a hard time making a decision, but strongly considering the new Ruger (I think it's a Mini 14?). I want an AR15 but one gun at a time! :)

oldsarge

Ruger Mini 14's are great rifles, Had one many years ago. But I think the AR series gives you way more options for tayloring to your needs. AR's are one of the most highly customized rifles out there right now. You can also go with the AR10 in 7.62 for more punch.

Greatoutdoors

My husband is also looking at the Mini 14 but thinks he is going to go with the Ruger mini 30 because the ammunition is a little cheaper.

CozInCowtown

Yes, the Mini-30 is just a Mini-14 in 7.62x39mm.
The Mini and AR are not "Tactical" rifles though, they are classified (for the most part) as assault rifles.
DC

oldsarge

Don't tactical and assault fall under the same thing in a way. It's sounds to me that the terminoligy has changed to buffer the anti gunners assault ban. I know that years ago anything with a high capacity magazine and bayonet lug was considered an assault rifle. It's funny when you think about it all. A nice bolt action rifle use for hunting can also be a tactical rifle. It all depends on how it's used in a given situation. Why wouldn't an assault rifle be considered a tactical rifle? It can be used in many different situations.