Machine Guns

Greatoutdoors

Anybody ever fired a machine gun? Hubby and I are going to some private land with a friend of the family and he has one. I am itching to try it!

wvbreamfisherman

Got to fire a M-16 once on full-auto. That was fun but not really a machine gun. I'd like to fire a M-2 Browning 50 cal someday. I'd think that would be a huge thrill! (As long as I wasn't buying the ammo!)

Grandpa

Browning .30 cal, as a boy scout no less, M-14 and M-16 in the Army, and CAR 9, son-in-laws police isssue.

oldsarge

They can be a blast, just a little pricey though. I once saw in a gun magazine a guy who minaturized the parts to a 30 cal machine gun and made one in .22 cal. It was belt fed just like the real deal. Anyone remember the American 180? .22 cal machine gun would dump 177 rounds in 6 seconds.22 cal machine gun - Bing Videos

outdoorchick

177 rounds in 6 seconds! That would be awesome! I have never gotten to fire one before, but I totally would if I am given the opportunity.

Grandpa

Thats an awesome amount of firepower all right. Kinda hard to compete against that with a deer rifle.

safn1949

M-16,Glock 19 w/30 rd clip,M-3 Greasegun,M-85 .50 cal,M-79 .30 cal,MG-3 7.62mm (German Army),M-60 7.62.

And of course the 20mm Vulcan firing at night was quite the sight at 50 rounds a second.....yikes!

wvbreamfisherman

I saw a demo of an original Gatling gun in 45-70 once. Very impressive, especially since the rounds were loaded with black powder.

I can hardly imagine the carnage if they had been available duing the Civil War. Single shot and a few lever action Spencers and Henrys were effective enough!

safn1949

Yes sir,I watched a track mounted (M-113) Vulcan fire at night into a WW 2 village at Grafenwoehr one night.Quite the sight as he fired 2 short (1-2 second ) bursts then opened up for a good 5-6 seconds at least.A lot of tracers flying and walls falling.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

southerngal

Yes, it is fun. Have a deerstand we nicknamed the Uzi Tower.
Sweet! I haven't fired one yet but it's high up on my list of things to try. I wish there were more places you could go around here to fire something like these. Most of the gun ranges around here have restrictions on certain guns which is understandable since all but one are indoor ranges.