Some people sink?

DragonAge

I have always been able to float, and so could everyone I know, that I know of that is. I have a new friend who doesn't do water activities because he claims that he can not swim well or float because he sinks. Is that true, do some people sink instead of float?

IndianaHiker

Most all people will float. However some my be deeper in the water than others. Even if you natural buoyancy is below water level you can still swim with adjustments made to the stroke. This site explains it better than I am. In short any person can swim.

Relax and Swim! Buoyancy

LindaLou

Thanks for that site, I'll be checking it out. I've always been able to float and love doing it but our oldest son said he couldn't float, I didn't believe him until we were all in the pool one day and he really tried, I even tried helping him but he just sunk? I was really surprised at that.

Ilovelife

This isn't the first time I have heard of this. I am sure there is a reason some people sink instead of float. I just can't think of what it is right now.

Tubby

I used to lie on my back and float for hours. I would fall asleep floating if I wasn't careful. It was so comfortable to me. I don't go swimming that much now, simply because I don't have the time, but I still like to float.

Scotty

I had a buddy once who had to really work at swimming. He didn't float well either. I've heard that the more body fat you have, the easier it is to float. He didn't have an ounce of fat on him anywhere. IDK if that's true but he couldn't float without moving his arms and legs.

Grandpa

Muscle is denser than fat. A person with low bodyfat should have a harder time floating. The only true measure of body fat content is by water displacement.

Those of us that are fat and full of hot air float easier than anyone. :tinysmile_twink_t2:

oldsarge

True Grandpa, lean folk sink much easier than us chubby bobbers. I knew a few really lanky fellows in the Army that would go straight to the bottom like a lawn dart. Also, it's easier to float in salt water than fresh, believe it or not. I also think a lot of has to do with confidence in the water, some don't know how their body reacts in water and tend to panic a little. Getting in a nice deep pool and practicing floating on your back. This will help build some confidence and take some of the fear away knowing that you are able to at least float on your back.

MountainMan22

I never understood the thing with people saying they can't swim. I truly believe everyone can swim. If you have 2 arms and 2 legs, you can tread water like anyone can. I think it's more of a mental panic or something.