Building Forts

FreeWilly

As a kid I use to be into fort building any chance I could. I've made some nice forts inside my house, but the better ones were in the backyard. Thankfully my parents weren't too strict to let me camp outside in them with my friends. What is it with boys and forts? I guess it's a home away from home with no rules or something.

T

tentrus

Oh it is not only BOYS, it's girls too. I had many forts in my childhood. We made them in the house and out back too. I loved growing up in the country. We have a cabin now on our property and that is what my daughter uses for her fort.

Greatoutdoors

My two year old LOVES for us to set up forts for her in the house. She has a little tent we put up in the house and in the backyard too.

Miley

I guess I was a tomboy, because building forts was my favorite childhood pastime. The neighborhood kids and I use to build forts in the woods, behind my house. Back then, we could play in the woods, without our parents worrying about creepers.

oldsarge

Back when I was a kid, my buddies older brothers were in Viet Nam. They would send home field manuals and we would read through them. Our forts weren't all that elaborate, but the way we had them placed in a perimeter with interlocking trenches, that was kind of over doing it. We would have all kinds of guys sleeping out there with a rotating guard. We even had trip wires...no, really...we would tie heavy string between trees to trip people at night. You would hear them hit the ground. This all took place in the woods near our sub division. Of course we later learned that the trip wire was supposed to be attached to some kind of booby trap!

MountainMan22

Don't forget magnifying glasses. For some reason I had a facsination with buring anything and everything. I even figured out how to set things like paper bags on fire. I was bad to insects with the magnifying glass too. Forts were something I think any kid loved.

Traveler

That and fire, and fireworks, and blowing stuff up, and getting in the mud.......
This reminds me of my burned finger because of playing firecrackers. It was numb for a week.

Anyhow, I think boys love to play with loud bangs but they don't want to be targeted so they build fortresses or castles to protect themselves. I guess grownup boys just fulfill their childhood dreams when they join the army.:tinysmile_hmm_t: